Firefighters boost young people’s confidence with training course
- Credit: Archant
Firefighters from Wisbech have been helping teenagers grow in confidence and learn life skills as part of NCS - National Citizen Service.
A group of 15 young people took part in a three-day course at the fire station in Wisbech that saw them undertake training drills, team building exercises and learn about safety.
The visit was part of the NCS four-week programme and was organised in partnership with Fenland District Council.
Wisbech firefighter Jasper Vidot said: “The intensive course saw young people take part in training drills and education sessions covering basic fire craft, search and rescue, road safety and water safety.
“We split the young people into watches of five and fitted them in full fire kit to give them an authentic training experience. We hope this experience allowed the individuals to develop personal skills while boosting self esteem and sowing the seed of confidence in them.”
You may also want to watch:
The National Citizen Service helps young people build skills for work and life, while taking on new challenges and meeting new friends. NCS gives thousands of young people across England the chance to meet others from all backgrounds and tackle outdoor challenges on an exciting residential away from home, join with local businesses and social leaders to learn new skills for work and life.
- 1 Missing dog found thanks to drone footage
- 2 Brexit blamed for plans to flatten Friday Bridge camp and build 100 homes
- 3 30,000 watch Facebook confrontation of alleged paedophile
- 4 HMO plans submitted for village pub
- 5 Paedophile caught by cops after preying on 'teenage girls' online
- 6 Drink driver fleeing traffic cops overturns before being arrested
- 7 'Father' found guilty of murdering his teenage daughter
- 8 Eagle-eyed plane spotter saves pilot's life
- 9 Burnouts, revving engines and upset shoppers lead to dispersal order
- 10 Pink Cadillacs, sports cars and a VW Beetle: Students arrive in style for their leavers' prom