Fire service says family followed instructions to the letter as rescue got under way
A FAMILY followed fire control instructions to the letter as a blaze threatened to engulf their Wisbech home in the early hours of Saturday. Three adults, a grandmother, her teenage grandson and his girlfriend and a seven year old grand daughter – and a d
A FAMILY followed fire control instructions to the letter as a blaze threatened to engulf their Wisbech home in the early hours of Saturday.
Three adults, a grandmother, her teenage grandson and his girlfriend and a seven year old grand daughter - and a dog- were successfully helped to safety.
Fire crews were called at 2.18am on Saturday to a house fire in Cannon Street following a 999 call from an adult in the property who said there was a fire at the bottom of the stairs.
A fire service spokesman said the control room operator who took the call told the occupants to:
You may also want to watch:
Get in a room furthest away from the fire
- 1 Businesses across the Fens reopen as lockdown restrictions ease
- 2 'I lived in the woods' - Suspected murder victim reveals five year ordeal
- 3 New offering can help 'encourage more participation in angling'
- 4 Council to report 'accumulations of tributes' to police
- 5 ‘The Duke of Edinburgh’s security team wouldn’t let him ride our tandem...’
- 6 Fenland line-up for Cambridgeshire elections
- 7 Videographer captures lifeboat hoist at town boatyard
- 8 Fully-funded place at grammar school's sixth form available for one pupil
- 9 Spectators to be 'kept well away' when 85m chimneys come down
- 10 All you need to know about the new Vauxhall Mokka
Put bedding around the door to prevent the smoke from getting in
Open the window
Put a marker by the window
Shout for help when fire crews arrive
The spokesman added: "The family followed these instructions and when crews arrived six minutes later, they were able to put a ladder up to the window to rescue all the occupants and their dog.
"Meanwhile, fire fighters wearing breathing apparatus entered the home and discovered a fire in the lounge. They extinguished the fire using one hose reel."
The cause of the fire was a carelessly discarded cigarette.
The spokesman added: "The family did exactly the right thing on discovering the fire. They dialled 999 and acted on the advice given by the control room operator. This advice kept them safe and prevented the risk of smoke inhalation while fire fighters travelled to the scene.
"It also enabled the fire fighters to find and rescue them quickly.