Fire crews called after electrical heater causes blaze in Wisbech shop
- Credit: Archant
Crews from Wisbech and March were called after an electrical heater caused a blaze in a Wisbech shop.
Fire crews arrived after receiving calls that a fire had broken out in the back office area of a retail shop in Market Place this morning (January 4). The property had been safely evacuated.
Two firefighters wearing breathing apparatus used a CO2 extinguisher to put the remains of the smouldering fire, which involved an electrical heater, out and returned to station by 11.15am.
The cause of the fire was deemed to be accidental, by electrical.
Watch Commander John Chelton said: “Although the staff attempted to put the fire out using an extinguisher, unfortunately the door to the room where the fire started was left open afterwards and this resulted in smoke logging to a majority of the property. We used positive pressure ventilation fans to clear as much of the smoke as possible and luckily the fire damage was contained to the room where the fire started.
You may also want to watch:
“It is important that staff working in any business premises know what to do if there is a fire in their workplace. If you need to find out more about staying safe in the workplace, you can attend a free business fire safety workshop,” he added.
For more information, log on to: http://www.cambsfire.gov.uk/firesafety/workshops-for-businesses.php
- 1 Woman threatened for not wearing mask describes fear for safety
- 2 Five fire crews called to building blaze
- 3 Fen farm on more than 200 acres of land up for sale for £2.2million
- 4 Octavia Hill’s Birthplace House gets share of £1.57billion fund
- 5 Stronger bonds can be key to success, believes Fenmen boss
- 6 Historian who wrote 126 books and spent 64 years bellringing dies aged 90
- 7 ‘Numerous’ number plate thefts reported to police across region
- 8 'I lived in the woods' - Suspected murder victim reveals five year ordeal
- 9 Restaurant launches bright pink ‘selfie areas’ ahead of reopening
- 10 Businesses reopen as lockdown restrictions ease