Fire crews called after electrical heater causes blaze in Wisbech shop
- Credit: Archant
Crews from Wisbech and March were called after an electrical heater caused a blaze in a Wisbech shop.
Fire crews arrived after receiving calls that a fire had broken out in the back office area of a retail shop in Market Place this morning (January 4). The property had been safely evacuated.
Two firefighters wearing breathing apparatus used a CO2 extinguisher to put the remains of the smouldering fire, which involved an electrical heater, out and returned to station by 11.15am.
The cause of the fire was deemed to be accidental, by electrical.
Watch Commander John Chelton said: “Although the staff attempted to put the fire out using an extinguisher, unfortunately the door to the room where the fire started was left open afterwards and this resulted in smoke logging to a majority of the property. We used positive pressure ventilation fans to clear as much of the smoke as possible and luckily the fire damage was contained to the room where the fire started.
You may also want to watch:
“It is important that staff working in any business premises know what to do if there is a fire in their workplace. If you need to find out more about staying safe in the workplace, you can attend a free business fire safety workshop,” he added.
For more information, log on to: http://www.cambsfire.gov.uk/firesafety/workshops-for-businesses.php
- 1 Wisbech nightspot up for sale for £410,000
- 2 Worst road in Fenland? You'd better believe it
- 3 Missing dog found thanks to drone footage
- 4 HMO plans submitted for village pub
- 5 'Father' found guilty of murdering his teenage daughter
- 6 Brexit blamed for plans to flatten Friday Bridge camp and build 100 homes
- 7 Nail bars and car washes targeted in modern day slavery checks
- 8 Drink driver fleeing traffic cops overturns before being arrested
- 9 'Every number is a lost life' - Worst Covid affected care homes in Cambs
- 10 Paedophile caught by cops after preying on 'teenage girls' online