Finishing touches being carried out at Wisbech Library which will reopen in February
CONTRACTORS are carrying out the final stages of work on Wisbech s revamped library that will reopen to the public in February next year. The �2.5million project has been funded by Cambridgeshire County Council, the National Lottery, the East of England D
CONTRACTORS are carrying out the final stages of work on Wisbech's revamped library that will reopen to the public in February next year.
The �2.5million project has been funded by Cambridgeshire County Council, the National Lottery, the East of England Development Agency and the Greater Cambridge Partnership.
Councillor Sir Peter Brown, county council Cabinet member for communities, said: "I am very pleased that work to create a modern library for the people of Wisbech and the surrounding area is nearing completion and I very much look forward to welcoming customers - existing and new members - to the facilities.
"Local people have waited a long time for this new Library and the County Council is very grateful for the support of the National Lottery and EEDA which has enabled us to expand the range of facilities it offers to the community."
The Library, in The Crescent, has been extended and remodelled at ground and first floor level.
There is a new learning centre and a community meeting room equipped with ceiling mounted projector and hearing loop. There are also better facilities throughout, including more room for children, new toilets and a lift.
- 1 Pedestrian killed crossing road
- 2 Crowds watch as Wisbech lights up for Christmas
- 3 'White van man' crashes into rail bridge
- 4 Michaela’s horrific ordeal: ‘My partner threatened to slit my throat and bury me alive’
- 5 New £566k convenience store opens creating 12 jobs
- 6 Council’s final meeting of 2021 to include minute’s silence for those lost
- 7 Auditor who fell ill on eve of farmgate report not returning to council
- 8 Family's tribute to 'much-loved' and 'fun-loving' A1198 crash victim
- 9 Village life, magistrate in court for failing to clear snow and forced landing
- 10 Check before you travel ahead of major upgrade, commuters warned
It will stage activities for children and house specialist collections including the Wisbech and Fenland Collection and the Lilian Ream photograph collection.
The �2million of Big Lottery funding was made through its Community Libraries programme, which is providing the money to enable five libraries in the East of England - including Wisbech - to become hubs for community learning.
The learning centre, funded by a �100,000 grant from the East of England Development Agency (EEDA), will provide an IT suite for information, advice and guidance sessions and flexible learning.
Wisbech Library will be the fourth refurbished library to reopen in less than 12 months. During 2009, the county council opened new libraries in Cambridge, Huntingdon and Great Shelford.
• The temporary Library at the Queen Mary Centre will close on Christmas Eve. From Saturday January 2 until the new library opens there will be a mobile library service on the Market Square on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays from 9.30am-4pm.
For more information contact 0345 045 5225.