Finishing touches being carried out at Wisbech Library which will reopen in February
CONTRACTORS are carrying out the final stages of work on Wisbech s revamped library that will reopen to the public in February next year. The �2.5million project has been funded by Cambridgeshire County Council, the National Lottery, the East of England D
CONTRACTORS are carrying out the final stages of work on Wisbech's revamped library that will reopen to the public in February next year.
The �2.5million project has been funded by Cambridgeshire County Council, the National Lottery, the East of England Development Agency and the Greater Cambridge Partnership.
Councillor Sir Peter Brown, county council Cabinet member for communities, said: "I am very pleased that work to create a modern library for the people of Wisbech and the surrounding area is nearing completion and I very much look forward to welcoming customers - existing and new members - to the facilities.
"Local people have waited a long time for this new Library and the County Council is very grateful for the support of the National Lottery and EEDA which has enabled us to expand the range of facilities it offers to the community."
You may also want to watch:
The Library, in The Crescent, has been extended and remodelled at ground and first floor level.
There is a new learning centre and a community meeting room equipped with ceiling mounted projector and hearing loop. There are also better facilities throughout, including more room for children, new toilets and a lift.
- 1 Suspected drink-driver, 41, arrested after tip-off from resident
- 2 Man escapes ‘shocking case’ of modern slavery at hand car wash
- 3 Success after six year battle to get 21 homes approved on factory site
- 4 Share your views on our newspaper via reader survey
- 5 ‘You now have s**t on your face,’ objector to planning scheme told
- 6 Woman ‘drink driver’ arrested for having no licence or insurance
- 7 Police thank eagle-eyed motorist for being ‘right place, right time’
- 8 WATCH: Air ambulances can't land after hospital helipad wrecked by US aircraft
- 9 NHS hired conman on £320,000 five months after he was unmasked
- 10 Man who died in road crash is named
It will stage activities for children and house specialist collections including the Wisbech and Fenland Collection and the Lilian Ream photograph collection.
The �2million of Big Lottery funding was made through its Community Libraries programme, which is providing the money to enable five libraries in the East of England - including Wisbech - to become hubs for community learning.
The learning centre, funded by a �100,000 grant from the East of England Development Agency (EEDA), will provide an IT suite for information, advice and guidance sessions and flexible learning.
Wisbech Library will be the fourth refurbished library to reopen in less than 12 months. During 2009, the county council opened new libraries in Cambridge, Huntingdon and Great Shelford.
• The temporary Library at the Queen Mary Centre will close on Christmas Eve. From Saturday January 2 until the new library opens there will be a mobile library service on the Market Square on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays from 9.30am-4pm.
For more information contact 0345 045 5225.