Fill a shoebox and give a gift
SHOPPERS at Wisbech s Horse Fair shopping centre are being asked to be extra generous by supporting the Operation Christmas Child campaign. Once again, the Horse Fair will be a drop-off point for the public to leave gift-filled shoe boxes which will be se
SHOPPERS at Wisbech's Horse Fair shopping centre are being asked to be extra generous by supporting the Operation Christmas Child campaign.
Once again, the Horse Fair will be a drop-off point for the public to leave gift-filled shoe boxes which will be sent to under-privileged children in central and eastern Europe, Mozambique, Swaziland and Liberia.
Customers can choose whether they wish to put boxes together for a boy or girl in three different age groups - two to four, five to nine and 10-14 years.
Gifts should be placed in a medium, adult-sized shoebox, which can be decorated with Christmas wrapping paper. Shoppers must clearly mark whether the box is for a boy or girl and the age group.
You may also want to watch:
Shoppers can be as generous and creative as they wish, avoiding liquids and items that my cause offence. Soft toys, educational supplies, hygiene items, such as hairbrushes, toothbrushes or things to wear are ideal.
Horse Fair centre manager, Kevin Smith, said: "The gifts will be sent to children who have been caught up in war, natural disasters and poverty. The shoebox appeal is a great way for these children to be able to enjoy opening gifts at Christmas."
- 1 Solicitor firm embraces legal sector apprenticeship scheme
- 2 Woman killed and four hospitalised after crash
- 3 Hare coursers handed Criminal Behaviour Orders
- 4 Baby abuse among paedophile’s 290,000 indecent images of children
- 5 Majority of councillors refuse to object to Wisbech incinerator - for now
- 6 Drug dealer who led class A drugs line caught in police sting
- 7 Pair questioned amid probe into catalytic converter thefts
- 8 Men caught with cannabis at village park
- 9 Community orchard to launch next month
- 10 Former mayor begins court battle to retain pub
Instruction leaflets are available now from the information point at the bus station. All completed boxes can be dropped off from next Monday to November 20 between 8am and 4pm on weekdays and 8am and noon on Saturdays.