Fenland woman who lost two stone to take over Slimming World group to inspire others
A FENLAND woman who lost two stone after joining a Slimming World group is now embarking on a new career as a consultant to help others do the same.
Julie Missin, 36, from Elm, had struggled with her weight since her teens before joining Vanessa Read’s Upwell group. She lost the weight in just 24 weeks and is now replacing Ms Read as the group’s leader.
Ms Missin said: “I’ve never been the most confident of people hiding behind a jolly facade and wearing safe clothes while all the time being conscious of what I was doing so that nobody laughed at me or criticised me.
“A family holiday to Robin Hoods Bay in Yorkshire was the wake-up call I needed. I was the heaviest I’ve ever been and walking up and down the hills left me breathless and uncomfortable.
“Watching my daughter playing on the beach with my partner with tears in my eyes because I was too self-conscious made me realise enough was enough.”
You may also want to watch:
She joined the Upwell group with her partner and lost 7lb in her first week and has continued to lose weight even though she admits she still regularly eats out.
The 36-year-old said: “I’ve got my confidence back and Upwell is a great group.
- 1 Van crashes into pram, killing five month old baby
- 2 Covid-19 numbers in Fenland higher than rest of county
- 3 Crash boy's mum says he's 'badly shaken but OK'
- 4 Homeless champion delighted as young couple finally have shelter
- 5 Council books seven hotels and guest houses for homeless
- 6 Ambulance charity first in East to transfer Covid-19 patients by air
- 7 Coroner records Wisbech teenager’s death as suicide
- 8 First large-scale Cambs Covid-19 vaccination centres open this week
- 9 Rapist on bail performed magic tricks for police and security guard
- 10 Stolen American-style fridge was lifted over 10ft security fence
“We’re all in the same boat, even me, and we will be there to help and support you 100 per cent all the way. With summer approaching there is no better time to start.”
Ms Missin takes over the Upwell group - who meet at the village’s methodist church every Thursday at 7.30pm - on June 9.
For more details visit www.slimmingworld.com