Fenland woman who lost two stone to take over Slimming World group to inspire others
A FENLAND woman who lost two stone after joining a Slimming World group is now embarking on a new career as a consultant to help others do the same.
Julie Missin, 36, from Elm, had struggled with her weight since her teens before joining Vanessa Read’s Upwell group. She lost the weight in just 24 weeks and is now replacing Ms Read as the group’s leader.
Ms Missin said: “I’ve never been the most confident of people hiding behind a jolly facade and wearing safe clothes while all the time being conscious of what I was doing so that nobody laughed at me or criticised me.
“A family holiday to Robin Hoods Bay in Yorkshire was the wake-up call I needed. I was the heaviest I’ve ever been and walking up and down the hills left me breathless and uncomfortable.
“Watching my daughter playing on the beach with my partner with tears in my eyes because I was too self-conscious made me realise enough was enough.”
You may also want to watch:
She joined the Upwell group with her partner and lost 7lb in her first week and has continued to lose weight even though she admits she still regularly eats out.
The 36-year-old said: “I’ve got my confidence back and Upwell is a great group.
- 1 Businesses across the Fens reopen as lockdown restrictions ease
- 2 'I lived in the woods' - Suspected murder victim reveals five year ordeal
- 3 Council to report 'accumulations of tributes' to police
- 4 New offering can help 'encourage more participation in angling'
- 5 ‘The Duke of Edinburgh’s security team wouldn’t let him ride our tandem...’
- 6 Fenland line-up for Cambridgeshire elections
- 7 Videographer captures lifeboat hoist at town boatyard
- 8 Fully-funded place at grammar school's sixth form available for one pupil
- 9 Spectators to be 'kept well away' when 85m chimneys come down
- 10 All you need to know about the new Vauxhall Mokka
“We’re all in the same boat, even me, and we will be there to help and support you 100 per cent all the way. With summer approaching there is no better time to start.”
Ms Missin takes over the Upwell group - who meet at the village’s methodist church every Thursday at 7.30pm - on June 9.
For more details visit www.slimmingworld.com