FENLAND: Woman donates 70th birthday proceeds to toddler whose mum died of cancer
EXCLUSIVE by: TOM JACKSON WHEN Amy Shailes read about the death of little Kieran Markham s mother, she found the perfect home for the money raised at her 70th birthday party. Mrs Shailes was so touched after reading a tribute to the three year old s mum S
EXCLUSIVE by: TOM JACKSON
WHEN Amy Shailes read about the death of little Kieran Markham's mother, she found the perfect home for the money raised at her 70th birthday party.
Mrs Shailes was so touched after reading a tribute to the three year old's mum Sarah that she decided to give the Welney youngster the £145 she raised.
Sarah Markham was 25 when she lost her battle against colon cancer last month.
You may also want to watch:
Her parents Dennis and Margaret now care for Kieran, who suffers from cerebral palsy, and paid tribute to their daughter in this newspaper three weeks ago.
Mrs Shailes, from Wisbech, said: "I was going to give the money to a charity, only I saw the story about Kieran's mum in your paper and thought he might like the money.
- 1 Photos show grim reality of life on the streets
- 2 Speeding car smashes into two vehicles before driving off
- 3 Inquest opens into death of labourer, 20, who drowned
- 4 Antiques dealer's collection to be sold at auction
- 5 Woman 'cannot afford to lose' over £3,000 through builder
- 6 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 7 So that's settled - Government not council will fund new school
- 8 Cyclist stabbed in broad daylight attack
- 9 Man in court over special constable assault and theft of alcohol
- 10 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
"I did have a couple of charities in mind, but after reading the story I wanted to give the money to Kieran."
After the donation was accepted by the Markham family Mrs Shailes, who asked party guests for money donations instead of presents, rounded the £145 up to £150.
Mrs Shailes said: "I am just so pleased the family accepted the donation."
Mrs Shailes also met Kieran and his grandparents at our Wisbech office on Tuesday, to give the youngster the cheque to pay into his savings account.
Mrs Markham said: "I was shocked to think that someone could be so kind to make such a donation. It is really lovely of Amy.