FENLAND: Wisbech, Chatteris, March and Whittlesey Somerfield staff wake to new bosses
STAFF at four Fenland supermarkets woke up today to the not unexpected news they have new bosses. Somerfield stores in March, Chatteris, Wisbech and Whittlesey, all transferred today to the Manchester-based Co-op after a �1.56billion take over was complet
STAFF at four Fenland supermarkets woke up today to the not unexpected news they have new bosses.
Somerfield stores in March, Chatteris, Wisbech and Whittlesey, all transferred today to the Manchester-based Co-op after a �1.56billion take over was completed.
Co-op will now eight per cent market share and run a total of 3,000 stores across the country.
Whilst Co-op will spend the next two years re-branding their stores, it is likely that the Somerfield store in Chatteris - where there already is a large Co-op- will be sold to another chain. There could, for instance, be nothing to stop the Somerfield store in Chatteris being sold to Tesco.
There may also be doubt about what happens to the Horsefair, Wisbech, branch of Somerfield since Anglia Co-op have a large, out of town store.
Peter Marks, chief executive of The Co-operative Group, said: "It is a transformational deal which cements our position as the UK's number one community retailer and returns us to the premiership of food retailers. It is no longer the Big Four, it's the Big Five."
- 1 Breakup and burglary! Couple's chaos after £101m win on Euromillions
- 2 Man who ran 'fly-tippers paradise’ faces £32,000 bill
- 3 Man arrested in Wisbech after illegally entering UK three times
- 4 Pupils tell Ofsted school so good they don't want to leave
- 5 Man, 28, and boy, 15, arrested after major A1101 crash in Wisbech
- 6 Village barn struck by arsonists in 4am blaze
- 7 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
- 8 Every household in the UK to get £400 to help with rising energy bills
- 9 Axing BBC TV news from Cambridge 'a backward step' says MP
- 10 My boss, the Prime Minister, is not a liar, says MP Steve Barclay
n If you work for Somerfield and are worried about your future job prospects, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01354 652621