Fenland: VANDALS START MAJOR FIRE WHICH HAS ENGULFED MARCH CHURCH
VANDALS are thought to have started a blaze which has engulfed a Fenland church this morning. Fire fighters from across the area are at the scene of the fire at the 19th century church of St Mary s on the outskirts of March at Westry. A neighbour, Counci
VANDALS are thought to have started a blaze which has engulfed a Fenland church this morning.
Fire fighters from across the area are at the scene of the fire at the 19th century church of St Mary's on the outskirts of March at Westry.
A neighbour, Councillor Jan French, described flames shooting from both sides of the building.
"I have spoken the care taker who says there is clear evidence the church has been vandalised and that is likely to be the cause of the fire," she said.
Fire crews from March, Chatteris and Wisbech are at the scene, a turntable ladder is en route from Peterborough and another fire crew is on the way from Huntingdon.
"It appears to be a major incident," said a fire service spokesman. The alarm was raised at 10.16am.
- 1 Pedestrian killed crossing road
- 2 Crowds watch as Wisbech lights up for Christmas
- 3 'White van man' crashes into rail bridge
- 4 Michaela’s horrific ordeal: ‘My partner threatened to slit my throat and bury me alive’
- 5 New £566k convenience store opens creating 12 jobs
- 6 Council’s final meeting of 2021 to include minute’s silence for those lost
- 7 Auditor who fell ill on eve of farmgate report not returning to council
- 8 Village life, magistrate in court for failing to clear snow and forced landing
- 9 Family's tribute to 'much-loved' and 'fun-loving' A1198 crash victim
- 10 Health chiefs call for action amid rise in sexually transmitted infections
Police have sealed off the A141 while fire fighters tackle the blaze.
MORE TO COME SHORTLY.