Fenland: VANDALS START MAJOR FIRE WHICH HAS ENGULFED MARCH CHURCH
VANDALS are thought to have started a blaze which has engulfed a Fenland church this morning. Fire fighters from across the area are at the scene of the fire at the 19th century church of St Mary s on the outskirts of March at Westry. A neighbour, Counci
VANDALS are thought to have started a blaze which has engulfed a Fenland church this morning.
Fire fighters from across the area are at the scene of the fire at the 19th century church of St Mary's on the outskirts of March at Westry.
A neighbour, Councillor Jan French, described flames shooting from both sides of the building.
"I have spoken the care taker who says there is clear evidence the church has been vandalised and that is likely to be the cause of the fire," she said.
You may also want to watch:
Fire crews from March, Chatteris and Wisbech are at the scene, a turntable ladder is en route from Peterborough and another fire crew is on the way from Huntingdon.
"It appears to be a major incident," said a fire service spokesman. The alarm was raised at 10.16am.
- 1 Pink Cadillacs, sports cars and a VW Beetle: Students arrive in style for their leavers' prom
- 2 'It could happen to anyone' - girlfriend of drowning victim speaks out
- 3 Replacing pub with houses ‘effective re-use' of site
- 4 Fenland Council welcomes Covid-19 compliant free rock festival
- 5 Mother sends warning over 'disgraceful' care of six-year-old daughter
- 6 Quiz-loving duo win BBC game show hosted by Bradley Walsh and Holly Willoughby
- 7 Historic hotel opens doors after lockdown transformation
- 8 Eagle-eyed plane spotter saves pilot's life
- 9 Two drink drivers lose their licences
- 10 7 places to avoid the crowds in Cambs this summer
Police have sealed off the A141 while fire fighters tackle the blaze.
MORE TO COME SHORTLY.