Fenland: VANDALS START MAJOR FIRE WHICH HAS ENGULFED MARCH CHURCH
VANDALS are thought to have started a blaze which has engulfed a Fenland church this morning. Fire fighters from across the area are at the scene of the fire at the 19th century church of St Mary s on the outskirts of March at Westry. A neighbour, Counci
VANDALS are thought to have started a blaze which has engulfed a Fenland church this morning.
Fire fighters from across the area are at the scene of the fire at the 19th century church of St Mary's on the outskirts of March at Westry.
A neighbour, Councillor Jan French, described flames shooting from both sides of the building.
"I have spoken the care taker who says there is clear evidence the church has been vandalised and that is likely to be the cause of the fire," she said.
Fire crews from March, Chatteris and Wisbech are at the scene, a turntable ladder is en route from Peterborough and another fire crew is on the way from Huntingdon.
"It appears to be a major incident," said a fire service spokesman. The alarm was raised at 10.16am.
- 1 Breakup and burglary! Couple's chaos after £101m win on Euromillions
- 2 Man, 28, and boy, 15, arrested after major A1101 crash in Wisbech
- 3 Recap: Main road through Wisbech town centre shut after serious crash
- 4 Inside Wisbech's new 'Get Out' escape room
- 5 Village road closing for five weeks for temporary barrier installation
- 6 Knife-wielding teen jailed after week-long crime spree in Wisbech
- 7 Middlesbrough couple found in Cambs with drugs worth around £37,000
- 8 Boys, 13 and 17 killed in horror BMW crash near A47 in Peterborough
- 9 Recap: A47 shut near Wisbech and King's Lynn after evening crash
- 10 Family pay tribute to brothers, 13 and 17, killed in horror BMW crash
Police have sealed off the A141 while fire fighters tackle the blaze.
MORE TO COME SHORTLY.