Fenland: VANDALS START MAJOR FIRE WHICH HAS ENGULFED MARCH CHURCH
VANDALS are thought to have started a blaze which has engulfed a Fenland church this morning. Fire fighters from across the area are at the scene of the fire at the 19th century church of St Mary s on the outskirts of March at Westry. A neighbour, Counci
VANDALS are thought to have started a blaze which has engulfed a Fenland church this morning.
Fire fighters from across the area are at the scene of the fire at the 19th century church of St Mary's on the outskirts of March at Westry.
A neighbour, Councillor Jan French, described flames shooting from both sides of the building.
"I have spoken the care taker who says there is clear evidence the church has been vandalised and that is likely to be the cause of the fire," she said.
You may also want to watch:
Fire crews from March, Chatteris and Wisbech are at the scene, a turntable ladder is en route from Peterborough and another fire crew is on the way from Huntingdon.
"It appears to be a major incident," said a fire service spokesman. The alarm was raised at 10.16am.
- 1 Coroner records Wisbech teenager’s death as suicide
- 2 High life ends for Bentley owning drug dealer
- 3 County cops issue more than 60 Covid fines since beginning of 2021
- 4 Overgrown ditch ‘hasn’t been maintained for at least eight years’
- 5 Town council says market is operating safely and within Covid-19 guidelines
- 6 'Bed-bound, my body felt exasperated' - reporter shares battle with Covid-19
- 7 Body of missing Wisbech man found in Norfolk
- 8 Transgender rapist - with anatomy of a man- jailed for 15 years
- 9 Ditch crash victim seriously injured
Police have sealed off the A141 while fire fighters tackle the blaze.
MORE TO COME SHORTLY.