Fenland: VANDALS START MAJOR FIRE WHICH HAS ENGULFED MARCH CHURCH
VANDALS are thought to have started a blaze which has engulfed a Fenland church this morning. Fire fighters from across the area are at the scene of the fire at the 19th century church of St Mary s on the outskirts of March at Westry. A neighbour, Counci
VANDALS are thought to have started a blaze which has engulfed a Fenland church this morning.
Fire fighters from across the area are at the scene of the fire at the 19th century church of St Mary's on the outskirts of March at Westry.
A neighbour, Councillor Jan French, described flames shooting from both sides of the building.
"I have spoken the care taker who says there is clear evidence the church has been vandalised and that is likely to be the cause of the fire," she said.
You may also want to watch:
Fire crews from March, Chatteris and Wisbech are at the scene, a turntable ladder is en route from Peterborough and another fire crew is on the way from Huntingdon.
"It appears to be a major incident," said a fire service spokesman. The alarm was raised at 10.16am.
- 1 Woman threatened for not wearing mask describes fear for safety
- 2 Five fire crews called to building blaze
- 3 Fen farm on more than 200 acres of land up for sale for £2.2million
- 4 Octavia Hill’s Birthplace House gets share of £1.57billion fund
- 5 Stronger bonds can be key to success, believes Fenmen boss
- 6 Historian who wrote 126 books and spent 64 years bellringing dies aged 90
- 7 ‘Numerous’ number plate thefts reported to police across region
- 8 Restaurant launches bright pink ‘selfie areas’ ahead of reopening
- 9 'I lived in the woods' - Suspected murder victim reveals five year ordeal
- 10 Businesses reopen as lockdown restrictions ease
Police have sealed off the A141 while fire fighters tackle the blaze.
MORE TO COME SHORTLY.