FENLAND: Teenager from Manea still being held in South American prison on drugs allegations
THE Foreign Office confirmed today that Fenland teenager remains locked up in a South American prison facing drugs charges. A spokesman for the Foreign Office could not confirm if 19 year-old Zoe Shepherd of Manea has yet been charged but said British co
THE Foreign Office confirmed today that Fenland teenager remains locked up in a South American prison facing drugs charges.
A spokesman for the Foreign Office could not confirm if 19 year-old Zoe Shepherd of Manea has yet been charged but said British counsel representatives had been into see her on a number of occasions.
"We remain in contact with her family," said the spokesman.
"Things take a lot longer out there. We haven't been told yet if she has been charged."
You may also want to watch:
The allegation made after her arrest in Bolivia on April 13 claimed she was carrying 49 g-rammes of cocaine- an offence that could translate into a 49 year prison sentence.
Zoe, a former student at Cromwell Community College, Chatteris, worked as an apprentice hairdesser at Curl Up and Dye in the town.
- 1 Empty Wisbech shop earmarked for slots and bingo
- 2 Suspected paedophile, 61, arrested in front of thousands on live video
- 3 Success after six year battle to get 21 homes approved on factory site
- 4 Matilda, 9, sold her dolls to raise money for charity close to her heart
- 5 Letters: Mayor's tribute, poem for a pigeon and letter release refusal
- 6 Three derelict cottages ‘would make an ideal renovation project’
- 7 Hundreds go bargain hunting in the sun at first car boot since lockdown
- 8 Ex-glider pilot and education pioneer dies
- 9 Man, 53, found in 'possession of knife' in Queensgate Shopping Centre
- 10 100 mile charity walk inspired by mum's breast cancer recovery
MP Malcolm Moss has been in contact with the family and confirmed that Zoe has been able to speak to her parents by phone from prison in Santa Cruz. She has also been a frequent user of social network sites such as Facebook.
(If you have contacted Zoe via Facebook, please call our news desk on 01354 652621)