FENLAND: Shropshire's open to the public as part of Open Farm Sunday event
THIS Sunday farmers around the country will be opening their doors to the public as part of Open Farm Sunday. One of the UK s leading salad and vegetable growers, Shropshire s, will open to their Second Willow Nursery at Ten Mile Bank just north of Litt
THIS Sunday farmers around the country will be opening their doors to the public as part of Open Farm Sunday.
One of the UK's leading salad and vegetable growers, Shropshire's, will open to their Second Willow Nursery at Ten Mile Bank just north of Littleport between 11am and 3pm for a unique opportunity to follow the salad story from seed to shelf-ready products.
Visitors can see how lettuce life starts in the state-of-the-art propagation nursery (a little bigger than the average greenhouse !) and take a tractor & trailer tour of nearby Plantation Farm to see field growing, harvesting and packing as well as learn how largescale growing and care for the countryside can be successfully combined. The last farm tour departs at 2pm.
Other activities for all the family to enjoy will include a 'bug trail', competitions, plant your own lettuce and a range of storyboards and other information. Refreshments and a barbecue featuring local products (and salads, of course) will be available.
You may also want to watch:
There will be a tasting table to try out our different salad and vegetable products and get recipe ideas and advice before buying in our Farm Shop - so visitors should take the opportunity to stock up on their Five A Day at value prices!
Entrance and tours are free. All proceeds from the day will go to Shropshire's chosen charity, the East Anglian Air Ambulance.
- 1 The Great British Sunday is a rush to the pumps not the piers
- 2 Frisson of excitement for Nissen as wartime hut sells for £169,000
- 3 Former mayor Aigars Balsevics must wait for verdict on pub fate
- 4 Crisis, what crisis? Panic buying at the pumps in Fenland
- 5 Former mayor begins court battle to retain pub
- 6 Rings End A141 closed after three vehicle collision
- 7 Drug free, drink free BMW driver crashes into wall
- 8 Community group to review case of missing Terry McSpadden
- 9 Fenmen caught napping as Fenland sides suffer weekend pain
- 10 Body found in Wisbech road
Open Farm Sunday is a national initiative co-ordinated by LEAF (Linking Environment And Farming) - please see their website www.farmsunday.org for general details.