FENLAND: Shropshire's open to the public as part of Open Farm Sunday event
THIS Sunday farmers around the country will be opening their doors to the public as part of Open Farm Sunday. One of the UK s leading salad and vegetable growers, Shropshire s, will open to their Second Willow Nursery at Ten Mile Bank just north of Litt
THIS Sunday farmers around the country will be opening their doors to the public as part of Open Farm Sunday.
One of the UK's leading salad and vegetable growers, Shropshire's, will open to their Second Willow Nursery at Ten Mile Bank just north of Littleport between 11am and 3pm for a unique opportunity to follow the salad story from seed to shelf-ready products.
Visitors can see how lettuce life starts in the state-of-the-art propagation nursery (a little bigger than the average greenhouse !) and take a tractor & trailer tour of nearby Plantation Farm to see field growing, harvesting and packing as well as learn how largescale growing and care for the countryside can be successfully combined. The last farm tour departs at 2pm.
Other activities for all the family to enjoy will include a 'bug trail', competitions, plant your own lettuce and a range of storyboards and other information. Refreshments and a barbecue featuring local products (and salads, of course) will be available.
There will be a tasting table to try out our different salad and vegetable products and get recipe ideas and advice before buying in our Farm Shop - so visitors should take the opportunity to stock up on their Five A Day at value prices!
Entrance and tours are free. All proceeds from the day will go to Shropshire's chosen charity, the East Anglian Air Ambulance.
- 1 Town road to remain closed following serious crash
- 2 WEIRD NORFOLK: The local shoe shop haunted by a 'one-legged poltergeist'
- 3 Cyclists call bicycle plates and insurance 'unenforceable and unworkable'
- 4 Florida Ice Effect phenomenon could put drivers at risk
- 5 Police 'increasingly concerned' for man missing since early hours yesterday
- 6 Man, 28, dies after truck and lorries crash on A47
- 7 Product sold at Tesco recalled due to risk of disease-causing bacteria
- 8 £150,000 splashpad to open in Wisbech
- 9 Charity needs over 200 more volunteer vaccinators across Cambridgeshire
- 10 Cambridgeshire students set to receive their A-level exam results
Open Farm Sunday is a national initiative co-ordinated by LEAF (Linking Environment And Farming) - please see their website www.farmsunday.org for general details.