FENLAND: Shropshire's open to the public as part of Open Farm Sunday event
THIS Sunday farmers around the country will be opening their doors to the public as part of Open Farm Sunday. One of the UK s leading salad and vegetable growers, Shropshire s, will open to their Second Willow Nursery at Ten Mile Bank just north of Litt
THIS Sunday farmers around the country will be opening their doors to the public as part of Open Farm Sunday.
One of the UK's leading salad and vegetable growers, Shropshire's, will open to their Second Willow Nursery at Ten Mile Bank just north of Littleport between 11am and 3pm for a unique opportunity to follow the salad story from seed to shelf-ready products.
Visitors can see how lettuce life starts in the state-of-the-art propagation nursery (a little bigger than the average greenhouse !) and take a tractor & trailer tour of nearby Plantation Farm to see field growing, harvesting and packing as well as learn how largescale growing and care for the countryside can be successfully combined. The last farm tour departs at 2pm.
Other activities for all the family to enjoy will include a 'bug trail', competitions, plant your own lettuce and a range of storyboards and other information. Refreshments and a barbecue featuring local products (and salads, of course) will be available.
There will be a tasting table to try out our different salad and vegetable products and get recipe ideas and advice before buying in our Farm Shop - so visitors should take the opportunity to stock up on their Five A Day at value prices!
Entrance and tours are free. All proceeds from the day will go to Shropshire's chosen charity, the East Anglian Air Ambulance.
- 1 A47 near Wisbech set to close for seven weekends due to roadworks
- 2 Father and son accused of man's murder set to stand trial this summer
- 3 New cops truck catches out law-breaking drivers in successful week
- 4 Jail for suspected hare courser who forced cars off road during police pursuit
- 5 Farmer wins appeal to convert derelict barn into a house
- 6 Second river crash in a week as driver escapes injury
- 7 Man set to stand trial accused of teen daughter's murder
- 8 Seven places where £4.9m road maintenance has been approved
- 9 Tributes paid to 'lovely' teenager as police continue murder probe
- 10 Footballer, Harry, hoping for future in professional football
Open Farm Sunday is a national initiative co-ordinated by LEAF (Linking Environment And Farming) - please see their website www.farmsunday.org for general details.