FENLAND: Seven surgeries say they will extend opening hours to meet public demand
SEVEN Fenland GP surgeries today announced they are to extend their opening hours to meet public demand. Across Cambridgeshire, the NHS says more than half of all GPs have agreed to open weekends, evenings and early morning. Dr Dennis Cox, Director of Cli
SEVEN Fenland GP surgeries today announced they are to extend their opening hours to meet public demand.
Across Cambridgeshire, the NHS says more than half of all GPs have agreed to open weekends, evenings and early morning.
Dr Dennis Cox, Director of Clinical Redesign and Service Improvement at NHS Cambridgeshire said: "We have been delighted by the number of GPs who have decided to extend their opening hours to accommodate the needs of patients.
"More than 50 per cent of the practices in our region have decided to extend their opening hours already. We continue to work closely with all our GPs to look at ways we can increase numbers even further in the future".
The Fenland seven are:
George Clare Surgery, Chatteris
- 1 Children among suspected hare coursers stopped in the Fens
- 2 Crowds watch as Wisbech lights up for Christmas
- 3 Princess Eugenie comes to town in bid to tackle modern slavery
- 4 Stolen caravans discovered on village site to relief of owners
- 5 Fens business park goes to auction - for up to £700,000
- 6 Former army major sentenced after pillion rider dies in motorcycle crash
- 7 Pedestrian killed crossing road
- 8 Two-day operation to feature in episode four of TV series
- 9 Wayne officially opens doors to DOORBRITE showroom
- 10 Family's tribute to 'much-loved' and 'fun-loving' A1198 crash victim
Jenner Health Centre, Whittlesey
Mercheford House Surgery, March
New Queen Street Surgery, Whittlesey
North Brink Surgery, Wisbech
Riverside Practice, March.
NHS Cambridgeshire say times may vary between GPs so patients can either check with their own surgery or check on line at www.cambridgeshire.nhs.uk or call 08002792535.
Vicky Parrett, of Nuffield Road Medical Centre's Patient Group, Cambridge, said: " Being able to get to see your GP at a more convenient time, before or after work is excellent news for patients, particularly for those who work long hours."
It's important that there is as much information out there about which surgeries are offering extended hours, so that patients can take advantage of the extended service".
NHS Cambridgeshire is running an information campaign over the next few months about how people can access the additional opening times. Part of the campaign will be a major leaflet drop to every household in Cambridgeshire which will outline in full those surgeries that are taking part in this initiative.