FENLAND: Public sector union UNISON call for Government to step in and help colleges
PUBLIC sector union UNISON has called for the Government to step in and help colleges, such as the College of West Anglia, at risk of losing millions and cancelling projects. The union s call came after Sir Andrew Foster s review into the collapse of the
PUBLIC sector union UNISON has called for the Government to step in and help colleges, such as the College of West Anglia, at risk of losing millions and cancelling projects.
The union's call came after Sir Andrew Foster's review into the collapse of the Government college building programme.
Chris Fabby, UNISON national officer for further education said: "Staff and students should not have to pay the price for problems they did not create. Further education colleges are crucial to making sure young people have the right skills to find work.
"The Government have bailed out the bankers, and they must step in to help those colleges which stand to lose millions and face having to cancel essential building projects.
You may also want to watch:
"It will also be a bitter blow to the building and construction industry which is already hit hard by the recession and stands to lose 40,000 much-needed jobs."
Further education unions met the Learning and Skills Council last week to express fears about the funding crisis. They have also written to Sion Simon MP, minister for further education, calling for an urgent meeting.
- 1 Businesses across the Fens reopen as lockdown restrictions ease
- 2 'I lived in the woods' - Suspected murder victim reveals five year ordeal
- 3 New offering can help 'encourage more participation in angling'
- 4 Council to report 'accumulations of tributes' to police
- 5 ‘The Duke of Edinburgh’s security team wouldn’t let him ride our tandem...’
- 6 Videographer captures lifeboat hoist at town boatyard
- 7 Fenland line-up for Cambridgeshire elections
- 8 Spectators to be 'kept well away' when 85m chimneys come down
- 9 Fully-funded place at grammar school's sixth form available for one pupil
- 10 All you need to know about the new Vauxhall Mokka