FENLAND: Police investigate fire at home of anti-wind farm protestor
POLICE are investigating a suspicious fire at the home of a leading anti-wind farm protestor, while a man is being questioned over an incident near the property this morning. A number of ducks were killed in a fire in a wooden outbuilding at Rands Drove,
POLICE are investigating a suspicious fire at the home of a leading anti-wind farm protestor, while a man is being questioned over an incident near the property this morning.
A number of ducks were killed in a fire in a wooden outbuilding at Rands Drove, Marshland St James, on Saturday night.
Fire-fighters from Outwell, Wisbech and Downham Market took almost an hour to extinguish the fire, which almost destroyed the building at the home of West Norfolk councillor David Markinson.
Cllr Markinson is a leading opponent of proposals to build 19 wind turbines on farmland near the village. Today Norfolk Fire Service said the blaze was suspicious, while police confirmed they were investigating.
You may also want to watch:
Norfolk police said a man in his 30s was today being questioned on suspicion of affray and assault following a separate incident near the same property this morning.
It is the latest in a string of incidents which have happened since Marshland Wind Farm Ltd went public with its plans. A test mast put up to check wind speeds was demolished, consortium members' property has been attacked and one farmer killed himself after becoming depressed over opposition to the plan.
- 1 Friends pay tribute to ‘great young lad’ who drowned at Bawsey Pits
- 2 Covid ban on collecting CCTV says police after cycle theft
- 3 Man, aged in his 40s, dies after suspected drug-fuelled B1101 crash
- 4 Updates as emergency services rush to major crash blocking B1101
- 5 Hancock admits QEH 'in serious need of improvement' but makes no promises
- 6 Home next to disused railway bridge gets the go-ahead
- 7 Former Fen pupil’s McLaren supercar work leads to national award
- 8 Man in his 20 dies at West Norfolk park
- 9 On hottest day of the year hospital 'put me in a store room for over two hours'
- 10 Man jailed for sexual relationship with schoolgirl
Last week it emerged security guards were called in to patrol the guards of Marshland's Jubilee Hall, when members of the wind farm consortium met parish councillors.