FENLAND: Peter prepares for a long punt
EEL fisherman and churchwarden Peter Carter is preparing to make a 22 mile sponsored trip in his traditional Fenland punt, so he can present a gift of eels to the Bishop of Ely. Peter will travel from The Basin in Outwell, punting his way through Salters
EEL fisherman and churchwarden Peter Carter is preparing to make a 22 mile sponsored trip in his traditional Fenland punt, so he can present a gift of eels to the Bishop of Ely.
Peter will travel from The Basin in Outwell, punting his way through Salters Lode, Denver, and Littleport, until he reaches Ely.
"The money raised will be divided between East Anglia Children's Hospice and St Clement's Church in Outwell," said Peter, who is undertaking the journey to mark the 900th anniversary of the Ely Diocese.
"I am hoping to complete the journey over four days, travelling in my punt, and using a pole most of the way."
You may also want to watch:
Peter, the last traditional eel catcher in the Fens, keeps a variety of traditional Fen crafts alive. As well as being an eel fisherman, he is a willow merchant and mole catcher. He also practices hedge laying, wildfowling, and net making.
Peter, a churchwarden of St Clement's Church, is due to start his incredible journey on June 16. He plans to join the St Etheldreda's parade in Ely on Saturday June 20th, when he will hand the eels and an eel trap to the Bishop.
- 1 Photos show grim reality of life on the streets
- 2 Inquest opens into death of labourer, 20, who drowned
- 3 Speeding car smashes into two vehicles before driving off
- 4 Antiques dealer's collection to be sold at auction
- 5 Woman 'cannot afford to lose' over £3,000 through builder
- 6 Cyclist stabbed in broad daylight attack
- 7 So that's settled - Government not council will fund new school
- 8 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 9 Man in court over special constable assault and theft of alcohol
- 10 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
Sponsor forms can be found at Outwell Post Office, and the churches at Upwell and Outwell, or Peter can be contacted with pledges on 01945 772157.