FENLAND: Peter prepares for a long punt
EEL fisherman and churchwarden Peter Carter is preparing to make a 22 mile sponsored trip in his traditional Fenland punt, so he can present a gift of eels to the Bishop of Ely. Peter will travel from The Basin in Outwell, punting his way through Salters
EEL fisherman and churchwarden Peter Carter is preparing to make a 22 mile sponsored trip in his traditional Fenland punt, so he can present a gift of eels to the Bishop of Ely.
Peter will travel from The Basin in Outwell, punting his way through Salters Lode, Denver, and Littleport, until he reaches Ely.
"The money raised will be divided between East Anglia Children's Hospice and St Clement's Church in Outwell," said Peter, who is undertaking the journey to mark the 900th anniversary of the Ely Diocese.
"I am hoping to complete the journey over four days, travelling in my punt, and using a pole most of the way."
Peter, the last traditional eel catcher in the Fens, keeps a variety of traditional Fen crafts alive. As well as being an eel fisherman, he is a willow merchant and mole catcher. He also practices hedge laying, wildfowling, and net making.
Peter, a churchwarden of St Clement's Church, is due to start his incredible journey on June 16. He plans to join the St Etheldreda's parade in Ely on Saturday June 20th, when he will hand the eels and an eel trap to the Bishop.
- 1 Drink-drivers banned off the roads after being caught in March and Wisbech
- 2 Princess Anne waves from Range Rover after landing in Wisbech
- 3 Met Office weather: Yellow storm and flood warning for East of England
- 4 Sex offender case adjourned due to judge's concerns
- 5 Family pay tribute to brothers, 13 and 17, killed in horror BMW crash
- 6 Whistleblower shares story of bullying, fatigue and 'dangerous' hours at ambulance service
- 7 MBR Acres releases image of graffiti message
- 8 Three brass instruments worth £20k stolen from church
- 9 Princess Anne visits Wisbech's new Citizens Advice Bureau on Cambs trip
- 10 Boys, 13 and 17 killed in horror BMW crash near A47 in Peterborough
Sponsor forms can be found at Outwell Post Office, and the churches at Upwell and Outwell, or Peter can be contacted with pledges on 01945 772157.