FENLAND: Man who was cleared in a trial of causing the death by dangerous driving of two teenagers i

PUBLISHED: 10:40 27 January 2009 | UPDATED: 08:51 02 June 2010

CAPTION; Collect Photo of Robert Hostler (17) who was killed in a road accident on the 7th Dec, near his home in Walsoken.
PHOTO; SUBMITTED VIA MU
COPY; Nicki Walker
FOR; EDP NEWS
COPYRIGHT; EDP pics © 2005
TEL; (01603) 772434

CAPTION; Collect Photo of Robert Hostler (17) who was killed in a road accident on the 7th Dec, near his home in Walsoken. PHOTO; SUBMITTED VIA MU COPY; Nicki Walker FOR; EDP NEWS COPYRIGHT; EDP pics © 2005 TEL; (01603) 772434

Archant © 2005

A BUILDER, who at his trial was cleared of causing the death by dangerous driving of two Fenland teenagers, was given a £350 fine after he admitted a charge of careless driving. Stephen Nanson, 43, of Hall Road, Walpole Highway admitted making a careless

A BUILDER, who at his trial was cleared of causing the death by dangerous driving of two Fenland teenagers, was given a £350 fine after he admitted a charge of careless driving.

Stephen Nanson, 43, of Hall Road, Walpole Highway admitted making a careless manoeuvre by overtaking a line of four slower moving cars on a sweeping bend on the A47 Wisbech bypass with witnesses putting his speed at an estimated 100mph, breaking the 60mph limit.

Norwich Crown Court heard Nanson's careless driving took place shortly before he was involved in a collision with a Ford Ka being driven by Clare Stubberfield, 19, which emerged from the left of the staggered crossroads at Broad End Road on the evening of December 5, 2007.

Miss Stubberfield of Orchard Drive, West Walton, and her back seat passenger Robert Hostler, 17 of Broad End Road, were both killed in the collision with Nanson's Cherokee Jeep.

Originally Nanson was charged with causing the death by dangerous driving of the two teenagers but at his trial, in July, last year, he was cleared of both charges on direction of Judge Paul Downes after expert evidence showed that Nanson could not have avoided the accident.

On Monday Nanson, admitted careless driving on December 5, 2007.

He was given a £350 fine and ordered to pay £85 costs and given six penalty points on his licence.

The court heard he had two previous motoring convictions.

Sentencing him, Judge Anthony Bate told him that he had elected to overtake a line of four slower moving cars and had substantially broken the 60mph speed limit.

"You regained your side of the road without forcing anyone already on the A47 to take evasive action."

He said his plea to careless driving had been accepted by the prosecution and he said it was quite separate from the collision which occurred 350 yards further along the main road.

Matthew McNiff, mitigating said Nanson's moment of careless driving had no impact on what followed and there was no accident caused by the careless overtaking manoeuvre.

"The evidence is clear this is something quite distinct from the deeply sad events which followed."

He said at the time of the collision Nanson was travelling on his correct side of the road.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Wisbech Standard. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Wisbech Standard