FENLAND: It's all going swimmingly for a new Swim4Free scheme
A FENLAND councillor got a good soaking from a group of excited primary schoolchildren – but he couldn t have been happier about it. Councillor Steve Garratt dropped in at the Manor Leisure Centre in Whittlesey to mark the first day of the Swim4Free schem
A FENLAND councillor got a good soaking from a group of excited primary schoolchildren - but he couldn't have been happier about it.
Councillor Steve Garratt dropped in at the Manor Leisure Centre in Whittlesey to mark the first day of the Swim4Free scheme at Fenland District Council's three leisure centres.
The scheme gives free swimming to anyone aged 16 or under or over 60.
The children, from Park Lane Primary School, were at the Manor for their regular swimming class.
Councillor Garratt, the council's portfolio holder for health and young people, entered into the fun before urging everyone eligible to make the most of the offer, which will run for at least the next two years.
He said. "This scheme will help them have fun and save cash at the same time as keeping fit and healthy."
- 1 Both drivers seriously injured after head on crash
- 2 Arson arrest after Wisbech blaze
- 3 Crews tackle blaze in Wisbech
- 4 Hospitals raise car parking costs for first time in six years
- 5 Captured Cambridgeshire man 'charged with mercenary activities' by Russia
- 6 Wisbech family discover 'ultimate side hustle'
- 7 ‘Thank you, my NHS, you were simply amazing’
- 8 Fenland man repeatedly raped woman for 20 years
- 9 Top roles confirmed at council owned housing firm
- 10 Developer going flat out to convert former post office
Anyone eligible for free entry simply has to turn up to sessions that are suitable for their age group and fill in a standard form, including their date of birth, and they are given a card to bring to each visit.
The scheme is proving hugely popular. Already all three centres report large numbers of people signing up: 186 cards were issued in the first five days, and people have enjoyed nearly 600 free swims.