FENLAND: House left uninhabitable after fire.
HOUSE LEFT UNINHABITABLE AFTER FIRE DODDINGTON: A house was left uninhabitable after it was ravaged by a fire, caused by a faulty lighter. Crews from March and Chatteris were needed to extinguish the fire in Newgate Street, Doddington, on Sunday mo
HOUSE LEFT UNINHABITABLE AFTER FIRE
DODDINGTON: A house was left uninhabitable after it was ravaged by a fire, caused by a faulty lighter.
Crews from March and Chatteris were needed to extinguish the fire in Newgate Street, Doddington, on Sunday morning.
The fire started in the upstairs front bedroom and spread to the hallway, through the roof of the home and to the ground floor. It is estimated that about 50 per cent of the house was damaged.
You may also want to watch:
The Fire Service was alerted after a resident returned to the house and dialled 999.
Six fire-fighters wearing breathing apparatus entered the home and extinguished the fire using one jet and three hose reels.
- 1 Friends pay tribute to ‘great young lad’ who drowned at Bawsey Pits
- 2 Updates as emergency services rush to major crash blocking B1101
- 3 Man, aged in his 40s, dies after suspected drug-fuelled B1101 crash
- 4 Serious crash blocks main road into Fen town
- 5 Home next to disused railway bridge gets the go-ahead
- 6 Man in his 20 dies at West Norfolk park
- 7 Breast cancer survivor on why weight loss 'saved my life'
- 8 On hottest day of the year hospital 'put me in a store room for over two hours'
- 9 Fifty jobs up for grabs as Deliveroo announces early move into Wisbech
- 10 Man jailed for sexual relationship with schoolgirl
Mark Bennett-Tighe, station manager for the fire service, said: "We would urge all residents not to smoke in the home, but if you do, please get into the habit of making sure that all smoking materials are correctly extinguished before they are discarded - including lighters and matches.
"It is also a good habit to make sure that all the internal doors are closed when you go to sleep or leave the home. A closed door will stop a fire from spreading for about 10 to 15 minutes and could significantly reduce the damage caused should a fire occur.
"We urge all residents to have a working smoking alarm, but if you smoke, this is vital. It does not even have to cost you anything.
"Just contact your local fire station, or fill in the online form on the website and you can request a free home fire safety check from the fire service. This is where a member of the fire service will visit your home and talk through fire safety advice and even fit smoke alarms for free."
ARSON THE CAUSE FOR FIRE AT FACTORY UNITS
MARCH: A fire crew from March and one crew from Chatteris were called to a report of a factory unit smouldering in Thorby Avenue, March.
Fire-fighters arrived on Tuesday morning to find a block of six linked commercial units - the majority of which were vacant. A small fire had been started in one of the units which fire-fighters extinguished using one hose reel.
Fire damage was confined to the unit of origin, however, smoke damage was caused to the neighbouring unit - Phoenix Hair and Beauty Specialist.
The cause of the fire is believed to be deliberate.
JAIL THREAT FOR MOTHER IF SHE MISSES PROBATION APPOINTMENTS
CHATTERIS: A drug using mum who crashed a car as she went to meet her lover will be jailed for four months if she fails to keep appointments with her probation officer, magistrates warned this week.
Mariza Main was given a 12-month supervision order last month - but so far has failed to keep a single appointment.
Main -whose partner is in jail - is still walking on crutches, as a result of breaking her leg when she crashed her mother's car back in January.
"She took the car to attend an assignation with a man she was having an affair with," solicitor Ben Pearson explained to Fenland magistrates.
"She came off the road after rowing with him; there was damage to the car and to roadside property."
Main, 34, of Clare Street, Chatteris, was given the supervision order for the offence of aggravated vehicle taking, and this week admitted breaching the order by missing two appointments.
"She got into difficulties when she got involved in heroin and crack cocaine at the age of 18," he said. "She was put into a school for people with learning difficulties, but is dyslexic."
MAN DROVE WHILST DISQUALIFIED FOR FAILING TO DISPLAY L-PLATE
WISBECH: The absence of an L-plate from the back of a van driven by Sam Geraghty meant he was driving while disqualified.
Back in 2002 Geraghty was banned from driving for a year - and was told the ban lasted until he took a driving test.
So he was reduced to learner-status, and on May 18 this year police spotted Geraghty driving a van in Wisbech, he was supervised, there was an L-plate on the front of the vehicle, but no plate on the back.
Geraghty, 28, of Princes Road, Wisbech - who has since passed his driving test - appeared before Fenland magistrates on Tuesday, when he admitted driving when disqualified and without insurance.
He was fined £400 with £60 costs and a £15 surcharge, and six points were endorsed on his licence.
POLICE LAUNCH APPEAL AFTER GLASS BOTTLE ATTACK
WISBECH: A man needed stitches to a face wound, after he was hit with a glass bottle over his head in Wisbech.
The incident happened outside the S R Place in Falcon Road at about 2.30am on Saturday June 7.
The man was taken to the Queen Elizabeth Hospital, King's Lynn, with facial and head injuries.
PC Claire Forrester said: "The victim was hit from behind so didn't see the offender. However there were a few people in the area at the time who we would like to speak to."
CONTACT: Police on 0845 456 4564 or Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555 111.