After 50 years of performing together, popular Fenland group Sounds Familiar have disbanded
- Credit: Archant
A popular Fenland band played their final show on Saturday after 50 successful years of performing together.
Sounds Familiar disbanded after playing their last ever gig on April 21 when more than 130 invited guests and supporters enjoyed a farewell party at Upwell Village Hall.
There was food, drink, music and dancing on the night and, after numerous encores, the band was allowed to retire.
Over time, the band has comprised of five local musicians: Ian Notley, Buster and John Turner, Brian Warner and Malcolm Shorting. For the last few years the group has played with only three members, due to the ill health of John and Brian.
During their glory years the band played regularly at The Pineapple Club and Gliderdrome in Boston, The Braza Club in March, The Isle College in Wisbech and numerous venues in Peterborough and across Fenland.
You may also want to watch:
They supported many big names such as The Searchers, Herman’s Hermit, The Tremeloes and almost Karl Denver, who had a car crash en-route, leaving his musicians to play alone with Sounds Familiar.
- 1 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 2 £330,000 fraudster burning evidence as police raid his home
- 3 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 4 Lucky Cambridgeshire neighbours win People's Postcode Lottery
- 5 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 6 Watches and electric display box stolen in village burglary
- 7 Man assaults police officer whilst in possession of drugs on E-Bike
- 8 Three charged after £2m Hotpoint arson attack
- 9 Photos show grim reality of life on the streets