FENLAND: Glorious spectacle as the golden age of steam evoked by the Fenman
IT evokes in many a warm glow of Agatha Christie, journeys to the seaside, nostalgic moments awash with expectation as the train slowly pulled into the station. Halcyon days for steam locomotives, and some of those fondest memories were no doubt stirred a
IT evokes in many a warm glow of Agatha Christie, journeys to the seaside, nostalgic moments awash with expectation as the train slowly pulled into the station.
Halcyon days for steam locomotives, and some of those fondest memories were no doubt stirred as Saturday as The Fenman, a giant of the rail network, passed through March Rail Station.
Today the name plate Fenman has been transferred to incorporate the modern day service between Kings Lynn and Kings Cross, a journey time that is now considerably swifter than 100 years ago when steam was in its heyday. A journey in 1908, for example, could see you leave Kings Lynn at 0956 and travel via the Fens and Peterborough to arrive at Kings Cross at 1305.
Today the journey takes 100 minutes, and calls at all Fen Line stations, including the smaller ones.
Commuters and day trippers will claim to have seen the future once in London as they stroll down to St Pancras and see the magnificence this now thriving international rail terminal.
Just occasionally, however, its pleasurable to be reminded of the past.
- 1 Both drivers seriously injured after head on crash
- 2 Developer going flat out to convert former post office
- 3 Arson arrest after Wisbech blaze
- 4 Crews tackle blaze in Wisbech
- 5 Top roles confirmed at council owned housing firm
- 6 Hospitals raise car parking costs for first time in six years
- 7 Captured Cambridgeshire man 'charged with mercenary activities' by Russia
- 8 Wisbech family discover 'ultimate side hustle'
- 9 Fenland man repeatedly raped woman for 20 years
- 10 Stress, anxiety, mental health and depression prompt rise in days off
Enthusiasts staring wide eyed at March on Saturday will testify as to just how much pleasure than can bring.