Major youth football tournament cancelled for second year running
- Credit: Ian Carter
One of Fenland’s largest football tournaments has been cancelled for a second year in a row.
Wisbech St Mary FC made the decision to cancel its annual summer tournament on June 20 after the government announced that remaining Covid-19 lockdown restrictions would not be eased until at least July 19.
A spokesperson for Wisbech St Mary FC said: “We felt we were taking a responsible decision in light of the current climate.
“It’s the second time in two years the tournament has been cancelled and it puts a financial strain on the club, but we’re not at a critical stage.”
The tournament, cancelled in 2020 due to the pandemic, is perhaps one of East Anglia’s biggest footballing events of the year with around 300 junior teams from across the country competing each summer.
You may also want to watch:
This year’s event was due to take place between July 10-11, and the club now intends to hold a tournament next year.
- 1 Teenager, 16, threatened young couple with screwdriver in park
- 2 Abandoned mooring could cost £50,000 to replace, says council
- 3 Residents told 'not to approach' illegal encampment
- 4 Town rallies in fight for new hospital
- 5 Drug dealer hid £130,000 at home
- 6 Lorry driver who died in B1085 crash named
- 7 Knife attack man jailed for 10 years over £20 'debt'
- 8 Not breaking news: Vicar with a vision, illegal fishing, workhouses and fork theft
- 9 Father murders daughter’s ex-partner in 'frenzied' multiple knife attack
- 10 Wisbech nightspot up for sale for £410,000