Major youth football tournament cancelled for second year running
- Credit: Ian Carter
One of Fenland’s largest football tournaments has been cancelled for a second year in a row.
Wisbech St Mary FC made the decision to cancel its annual summer tournament on June 20 after the government announced that remaining Covid-19 lockdown restrictions would not be eased until at least July 19.
A spokesperson for Wisbech St Mary FC said: “We felt we were taking a responsible decision in light of the current climate.
“It’s the second time in two years the tournament has been cancelled and it puts a financial strain on the club, but we’re not at a critical stage.”
The tournament, cancelled in 2020 due to the pandemic, is perhaps one of East Anglia’s biggest footballing events of the year with around 300 junior teams from across the country competing each summer.
This year’s event was due to take place between July 10-11, and the club now intends to hold a tournament next year.
- 1 Leslie 'faster, fitter, happier' after losing 10 stone in four months
- 2 'Wide range of people' will benefit from village homes, say developers
- 3 Woman in court over town pub burglary
- 4 Family escape 'devastating fire' that ripped through home
- 5 Princess hears first hand account of modern slavery
- 6 Rachael takes bronze at national hairdressing competition
- 7 Multiple emergency services at scene after B1098 crash
- 8 Princess Eugenie on mission to stop modern slavery
- 9 House fire that killed two children will not have further electrical checks
- 10 Primary school plans for new town take step forward