Fenland District Council to hold extraordinary meeting to formally elect new leader
A NEW leader of Fenland District Council will be formally elected at an extraordinary meeting of the council on Thursday January 14. It is expected there will be battle between a group of senior councillors for the �15,000 leader s job following the decis
A NEW leader of Fenland District Council will be formally elected at an extraordinary meeting of the council on Thursday January 14.
It is expected there will be battle between a group of senior councillors for the �15,000 leader's job following the decision by Councillor Geoff Harper to quit in the light of the email-gate scandal.
Cllr Harper's resignation takes effect from December 31 and those in the running for his job are thought to include Councillors Alan Melton, John Clark, Kit Owen, Ken Mayor, Peter Tunley and Jonathan Farmer.
The new leader of the Conservative Group will be elected by members at a special meeting on January 7 and seven days later that councillor will be formally elected as leader of Fenland District Council.
You may also want to watch:
Deputy leader Councillor Fred Yeulett was ousted after losing a vote of confidence over his handling of the email-gate affair which involved himself and Cllr Harper going to chief executive Tim Pilsbury to complain about the contents of a 'strictly private and confidential' email that had been circulated by Cllr Melton.
- 1 Suspected paedophile, 61, arrested in front of thousands on live video
- 2 Empty Wisbech shop earmarked for slots and bingo
- 3 Three derelict cottages ‘would make an ideal renovation project’
- 4 Hundreds go bargain hunting in the sun at first car boot since lockdown
- 5 Success after six year battle to get 21 homes approved on factory site
- 6 Ex-glider pilot and education pioneer dies
- 7 100 mile charity walk inspired by mum's breast cancer recovery
- 8 Room to improve as villagers fail to cope with rampant visitors
- 9 Dramatic drop in face-to-face GP appointments
- 10 Matilda, 9, sold her dolls to raise money for charity close to her heart