FENLAND: Crematorium plans for March approved by council planning committee
PLANS for a crematorium on the outskirts of March were approved by Fenland District Council s planning committee this afternoon. Mercia Crematoria Developments plans, off the A141 in Knight s End Road, was given the thumbs up during the meeting at Fenlan
PLANS for a crematorium on the outskirts of March were approved by Fenland District Council's planning committee this afternoon.
Mercia Crematoria Developments' plans, off the A141 in Knight's End Road, was given the thumbs up during the meeting at Fenland Hall.
Councillors agreed with planning officers that the crematorium will improve the quality of life for Fenland people; and will reduce travel to such facilities in Cambridge, Peterborough and King's Lynn.
Up to 23 people a week will be cremated at the new crematorium.
You may also want to watch:
Councillor Trevor Quince told the meeting: "I welcome this application. It is something that is needed in Fenland. At the moment we have to go 20 or 30 miles; it's too far."
Councillor Pam Potts added: "Fenland is a fast-growing community and we need an extra crematorium. It is central (to Fenland), it is a marvellous site and I will support it all the way."
- 1 Murder suspect is victim's son
- 2 Widow of High Court judge, 77, charged with historical sexual abuse
- 3 Pervert filmed himself having sex with girl, 14, and then shared video online
- 4 Man suspected to have stolen '£300-400' of alcohol in store theft
- 5 'Disbelief’ for disability centre after staff member’s scooter is stolen
- 6 Suspected drink lorry driver threw whiskey and wine bottle from cab
- 7 Class B drug factory discovered following British Gas search warrant
- 8 Commuter chaos as van blaze causes miles of congestion
- 9 'Unreasonable behaviour' means Steve must pay council's costs of failed appeal
- 10 Hairdressing student is best of 1,000 after winning national competition
Seven councillors agreed with the move to approve the plans.