FENLAND: Crematorium plans for March approved by council planning committee
PLANS for a crematorium on the outskirts of March were approved by Fenland District Council s planning committee this afternoon. Mercia Crematoria Developments plans, off the A141 in Knight s End Road, was given the thumbs up during the meeting at Fenlan
PLANS for a crematorium on the outskirts of March were approved by Fenland District Council's planning committee this afternoon.
Mercia Crematoria Developments' plans, off the A141 in Knight's End Road, was given the thumbs up during the meeting at Fenland Hall.
Councillors agreed with planning officers that the crematorium will improve the quality of life for Fenland people; and will reduce travel to such facilities in Cambridge, Peterborough and King's Lynn.
Up to 23 people a week will be cremated at the new crematorium.
You may also want to watch:
Councillor Trevor Quince told the meeting: "I welcome this application. It is something that is needed in Fenland. At the moment we have to go 20 or 30 miles; it's too far."
Councillor Pam Potts added: "Fenland is a fast-growing community and we need an extra crematorium. It is central (to Fenland), it is a marvellous site and I will support it all the way."
- 1 Rings End A141 closed after three vehicle collision
- 2 Former mayor Aigars Balsevics must wait for verdict on pub fate
- 3 Pictures show cars - including Tesco delivery vans - queued at fuel pumps
- 4 Former mayor begins court battle to retain pub
- 5 47-home estate 'beggars belief' says councillor
- 6 Showcase status for Academy
- 7 Motorcyclist dies in A141 crash
- 8 Drug free, drink free BMW driver crashes into wall
- 9 Crisis, what crisis? Panic buying at the pumps in Fenland
- 10 ‘From street dog to show champion’ - how Toby rescued his family
Seven councillors agreed with the move to approve the plans.