FENLAND: Councillor who completed the Marathon says it wasn't his best performance
FANTASTIC support from crowds lining the London Marathon route kept Councillor Curtis going in hot conditions on Sunday – and he managed to complete the race in just under five hours. It wasn t my best running performance by a long way, but it is definit
FANTASTIC support from crowds lining the London Marathon route kept Councillor Curtis going in hot conditions on Sunday - and he managed to complete the race in just under five hours.
"It wasn't my best running performance by a long way, but it is definitely the one I have enjoyed most," said Cllr Curtis, chairman of planning at Fenland District Council and a member of Cambridgeshire County Council, representing Whittlesey.
"It is hard to describe the lift you get from crowds like that. Taking part in the London Marathon is a memory to be relished."
"My time was longer that I expected, but I slowed right down in the second half, because of the heat."
You may also want to watch:
Cllr Curtis got his place through Thorney Running Club, and he raised money for the Children's Trust.
"Thanks to everyone who supported me, it's still not too late to donate," he said. Cllr Curtis has set up a page on the Justgiving website, he can be sponsored at http://www.justgiving.com/martincurtis.
- 1 Council to report 'accumulations of tributes' to police
- 2 Businesses across the Fens reopen as lockdown restrictions ease
- 3 'I lived in the woods' - Suspected murder victim reveals five year ordeal
- 4 Fenland line-up for Cambridgeshire elections
- 5 New offering can help 'encourage more participation in angling'
- 6 ‘The Duke of Edinburgh’s security team wouldn’t let him ride our tandem...’
- 7 Videographer captures lifeboat hoist at town boatyard
- 8 Fully-funded place at grammar school's sixth form available for one pupil
- 9 Spectators to be 'kept well away' when 85m chimneys come down
- 10 Five year mystery of what happened to modern day slavery victim