FENLAND: Councillor who completed the Marathon says it wasn't his best performance
FANTASTIC support from crowds lining the London Marathon route kept Councillor Curtis going in hot conditions on Sunday – and he managed to complete the race in just under five hours. It wasn t my best running performance by a long way, but it is definit
FANTASTIC support from crowds lining the London Marathon route kept Councillor Curtis going in hot conditions on Sunday - and he managed to complete the race in just under five hours.
"It wasn't my best running performance by a long way, but it is definitely the one I have enjoyed most," said Cllr Curtis, chairman of planning at Fenland District Council and a member of Cambridgeshire County Council, representing Whittlesey.
"It is hard to describe the lift you get from crowds like that. Taking part in the London Marathon is a memory to be relished."
"My time was longer that I expected, but I slowed right down in the second half, because of the heat."
You may also want to watch:
Cllr Curtis got his place through Thorney Running Club, and he raised money for the Children's Trust.
"Thanks to everyone who supported me, it's still not too late to donate," he said. Cllr Curtis has set up a page on the Justgiving website, he can be sponsored at http://www.justgiving.com/martincurtis.
- 1 Van crashes into pram, killing five month old baby
- 2 Dad's emotional tribute after baby son dies in A10 horror crash
- 3 Covid-19 numbers in Fenland higher than rest of county
- 4 Crash boy's mum says he's 'badly shaken but OK'
- 5 Homeless champion delighted as young couple finally have shelter
- 6 Stolen American-style fridge was lifted over 10ft security fence
- 7 First large-scale Cambs Covid-19 vaccination centres open this week
- 8 Council books seven hotels and guest houses for homeless
- 9 Ambulance charity first in East to transfer Covid-19 patients by air
- 10 Coroner records Wisbech teenager’s death as suicide