FENLAND: Council moves swiftly to rebut allegations contained in hoax letter about refuse
RESIDENTS in parts of Fenland – especially March- were warned today to beware of a hoax letter which alleges the district council is changing the way it collects household rubbish. The council would like to reassure residents that the information in this
RESIDENTS in parts of Fenland - especially March- were warned today to beware of a hoax letter which alleges the district council is changing the way it collects household rubbish.
"The council would like to reassure residents that the information in this letter is completely untrue," said a Fenland Council spokesman. "We have no plans to change the method of rubbish collection"
The spokesman said the letter purported to come from a company called 'WASTE-RITE REFUSE COLLECTION LTD' and alleged a link with Fenland District Council.
The Fenland spokesman added: "We are aware of this letter being distributed door-to-door in some areas of March on Friday 8 August.
You may also want to watch:
"If you have any information on the identity of this hoaxer, please contact the council on 01354 654321."
The spokesman added: "The best place for this letter is in your blue recycling bin which will be picked up, as usual, by Fenland District Council.
- 1 Drug free, drink free BMW driver crashes into wall
- 2 Former mayor Aigars Balsevics must wait for verdict on pub fate
- 3 Former mayor begins court battle to retain pub
- 4 Motorcyclist dies in A141 crash
- 5 A141 closed after motorcycle crash
- 6 Watch the moment E-scooter rider, 16, narrowly misses crashing into bus
- 7 Malaysian-style Fens home leaves Grand Designs viewers in awe
- 8 Body found in Wisbech road
- 9 Travellers move onto sports field forcing football to be cancelled
- 10 Bomb scare was a 'hoax' say police
"If you would like any more information about rubbish collection, or any other council service, please contact Fenland District Council on 01354 654321."
Officials are considering the theory the letter has been sent out by an individual who may have a grievance against the council.