FENLAND: Council moves swiftly to rebut allegations contained in hoax letter about refuse
RESIDENTS in parts of Fenland – especially March- were warned today to beware of a hoax letter which alleges the district council is changing the way it collects household rubbish. The council would like to reassure residents that the information in this
RESIDENTS in parts of Fenland - especially March- were warned today to beware of a hoax letter which alleges the district council is changing the way it collects household rubbish.
"The council would like to reassure residents that the information in this letter is completely untrue," said a Fenland Council spokesman. "We have no plans to change the method of rubbish collection"
The spokesman said the letter purported to come from a company called 'WASTE-RITE REFUSE COLLECTION LTD' and alleged a link with Fenland District Council.
The Fenland spokesman added: "We are aware of this letter being distributed door-to-door in some areas of March on Friday 8 August.
You may also want to watch:
"If you have any information on the identity of this hoaxer, please contact the council on 01354 654321."
The spokesman added: "The best place for this letter is in your blue recycling bin which will be picked up, as usual, by Fenland District Council.
- 1 Woman claims police officer ‘forced himself’ upon her
- 2 Table tennis club 'bitterly disappointed' to be told to move
- 3 A fiver for a photographic tour of historic Wisbech
- 4 'A crash waiting to happen' say police
- 5 Flytippers target same Fenland road two days in a row
- 6 'Harassment' forces village speedwatch team to close
- 7 New ditch to relieve flood issues 'more challenging than expected'
- 8 Cafe to shut for good after eight years
- 9 Van overturns after striking Ely’s infamous ‘most bashed bridge’
- 10 ‘Shift well spent!’: Fen Cops target illegal motorists in day of action
"If you would like any more information about rubbish collection, or any other council service, please contact Fenland District Council on 01354 654321."
Officials are considering the theory the letter has been sent out by an individual who may have a grievance against the council.