Fenland Council Leader says quality building design is "alive and kicking" at awards night
FENLAND District Council Leader Alan Melton said this year s Building Design Awards was proof that quality construction is alive and kicking in the district. Cllr Melton was compere for last night s awards ceremony, held at the Boathouse Business Centre
FENLAND District Council Leader Alan Melton said this year's Building Design Awards was proof that quality construction is "alive and kicking" in the district.
Cllr Melton was compere for last night's awards ceremony, held at the Boathouse Business Centre in Wisbech.
He told an audience of more than 100 that there were concerns that the current state of the economy would affect the entries, which were down on last year.
But he said: "You will see for yourselves that building design in Fenland is alive and kicking.
You may also want to watch:
"Since the launch last autumn of this year's awards, there has been a steady stream of entries coming in from an assortment of people, including those closely involved in helping Fenland to prosper, and also from members of the public who are just proud of what they have achieved with their building.
"From heritage awards to commercial awards and from simple extensions to new build homes, the entries have come in from all corners of Fenland, not just a few different agents.
- 1 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 2 Photos show grim reality of life on the streets
- 3 Burglars led police to £170,000 cannabis factory
- 4 Verdict means former mayor can keep pub
- 5 Bid to ban ex- mayor running pub “a joke” says cabinet member
- 6 Antiques dealer's collection to be sold at auction
- 7 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 8 Speeding car smashes into two vehicles before driving off
- 9 Man found dead in March
- 10 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
"The entries submitted were of a very high standard both in terms of design and construction and have all contributed to improving the built environment of Fenland. This made the task of judging and producing a shortlist for tonight's awards very difficult, so for those of you here this evening you are already winners.