Fenland church within reach of �15k repair milestone after party
CHURCHGOERS are within touching distance of their �15,000 milestone for roof repairs - and the kitty was boosted by a further �600 at a summer garden party on Saturday.
The Friends of Leverington Church held their latest event at The Old Post Office in Church End, just a few weeks before decorators arrive to size up the church ready for scaffolding to be erected.
Wisbech Grammar School’s swing band played at the event and there was a raffle and auction. The party was opened by Blondie James of Star Radio.
Derek Nightingale, who helped organise the fete with Mary Watt, said: “People have supported us well.
“We hold regular events to raise money for the fabric of the church and we have been aiming to redecorate and do essential work to the roof for some time.”
You may also want to watch:
Restoration work will cost �5,000 but the cost of scaffolding could cost as much as �10,000. The overall cost could further increase if workers find more needs to be done to maintain the church’s structural integrity.
- 1 Body found in Wisbech road
- 2 ‘High risk’ paedophile had indecent images of children on his phone
- 3 Top Cabinet post for NE Cambs MP Steve Barclay
- 4 Mayor opens Wisbech community hub
- 5 Family remembers 'cheeky, friendly and well-liked' mechanic
- 6 Man confronted in live stream cleared of all sex abuse allegations
- 7 Did you bite your husband's leg? ‘No, he knocked all my teeth out- I could not bite his leg’
- 8 Co-op grocery delivery robots are coming to Cambridgeshire
- 9 Lack of public transport blamed for collapse of £10.5m training centre
- 10 Off-duty detective snares £200k drug dealer