Fenland catches the sewing bug as Jayne Walpole’s Stitch Studio in Wisbech celebrates successful year
- Credit: Archant
Crafty people across Fenland have caught the sewing bug – making Jayne Walpole’s Wisbech-based Stitch Studio Sewing School a success.
Since opening its doors a year ago, beginners and more advanced sewers from March and further afield have attended the courses.
Jayne, who has over 30 years’ experience in teaching fashion and clothing, said: ““Why not try something new in 2017 and join learning with like-minded people, be creative and learn to make something original?
“t has been an amazing year, with people making all kinds of lovely creative clothes for themselves as well as anything from childrenswear to pin cushions, toys, to appliqué cushions and Christmas stockings.
“It is never too late to learn,” she added. “The oldest student, aged 83, has been creating lovely clothes for her wardrobe whilst the youngest, aged 11, has been developing her creative design and sewing skills, perhaps heading to be the next Vivienne Westwood.
You may also want to watch:
Carole Gallagher, a beginner from March, started by making a pin cushion in January and by the end of the year has made a tailored and lined suit for herself.
“I cannot wait to start on the next course,” she said.
- 1 Abandoned mooring could cost £50,000 to replace, says council
- 2 Teenager, 16, threatened young couple with screwdriver in park
- 3 Residents told 'not to approach' illegal encampment
- 4 Drug dealer hid £130,000 at home
- 5 Lorry driver who died in B1085 crash named
- 6 Father murders daughter’s ex-partner in 'frenzied' multiple knife attack
- 7 Bungling burglar confronted wearing stolen clothes
- 8 Not breaking news: Vicar with a vision, illegal fishing, workhouses and fork theft
- 9 Marathon runner passes through Cambs on route to Kathmandu
- 10 Blush crowned best bridal shop in Cambs
Wisbech couple John and Clare Rose, as well as Emneth mum Teresa Wicklen with her two daughters Naomi and Harriet, attended the creative appliqué cushion workshop.
“Jayne’s enthusiasm for her craft is infectious,” said Teresa. “She was so encouraging and helpful.”
Harriet added: “The course was a brilliant birthday present from my mum and dad, and being able to learn new skills with my sister and mum at the workshop really was the icing on my birthday cake.
For information about the courses and workshops at Stitch Studio, Tulsa House, Station Road, Wisbech St Mary, call Jayne on 07584 341160, email Jayne@stitchstudio.co.uk or visit www.stitchstudio.co.uk