Join the Red Bag scheme to keep elderly people safe in an emergency
- Credit: Archant
Care homes in Fenland are being encouraged to join a scheme which ensures people know the medical history of elderly patients in case of an emergency.
The Red Bag scheme was introduced by The Queen Elizabeth Hospital in King’s Lynn earlier this year to make sure emergency clinicians have a full medical history and medications for seriously unwell older patients who are rushed to the A&E department.
A total of 26 care homes have already signed up to the scheme but the hospital is hoping to attract others to take part.
Pamela Chapman, frailty matron, said: “The Red Bags are helping us to provide a holistic package of care for seriously ill people the moment they arrive through the hospital’s front door to discharge.
“I believe this scheme is helping with initial clinical assessments along with ensuring that patients have a continuing good experience while at The QEH.
You may also want to watch:
“We would like to encourage more homes to take up the Red Bag scheme.”
Lyncroft Care Home in Wisbech uses the Red Bags.
- 1 Success after six year battle to get 21 homes approved on factory site
- 2 Empty Wisbech shop earmarked for slots and bingo
- 3 ‘You now have s**t on your face,’ objector to planning scheme told
- 4 Suspected paedophile, 61, arrested in live Facebook video stream
- 5 Man who died in road crash is named
- 6 Adult disability service on staying strong during Covid-19 pandemic
- 7 Letters: Mayor's tribute, poem for a pigeon and letter release refusal
- 8 Matilda, 9, sold her dolls to raise money for charity close to her heart
- 9 Reporter shares mid-treatment stages of teeth transformation
- 10 Three derelict cottages ‘would make an ideal renovation project’
Jan Davison, home manager, said: “We wanted to be involved with the Red Bag Scheme to help our residents who do not have capacity.
“Our teams have a really good system going to ensure the bags are packed accordingly with all the items the resident needs along with the detailed documentation.
“I would recommend the Red Bags to other care home as it ensures that hospital has all the right information about that individual.”