Join the Red Bag scheme to keep elderly people safe in an emergency
- Credit: Archant
Care homes in Fenland are being encouraged to join a scheme which ensures people know the medical history of elderly patients in case of an emergency.
The Red Bag scheme was introduced by The Queen Elizabeth Hospital in King’s Lynn earlier this year to make sure emergency clinicians have a full medical history and medications for seriously unwell older patients who are rushed to the A&E department.
A total of 26 care homes have already signed up to the scheme but the hospital is hoping to attract others to take part.
Pamela Chapman, frailty matron, said: “The Red Bags are helping us to provide a holistic package of care for seriously ill people the moment they arrive through the hospital’s front door to discharge.
“I believe this scheme is helping with initial clinical assessments along with ensuring that patients have a continuing good experience while at The QEH.
You may also want to watch:
“We would like to encourage more homes to take up the Red Bag scheme.”
Lyncroft Care Home in Wisbech uses the Red Bags.
- 1 Wisbech nightspot up for sale for £410,000
- 2 A47 to close overnight near Wisbech for roadworks
- 3 Pets saved in horrific rescue start to be rehomed
- 4 Cant's Drove loses 'worst road in the Fens' title
- 5 7 of the most expensive houses on the market in Cambridgeshire right now
- 6 CCTV released after shopkeeper assaulted in robbery
- 7 Man with rare heart condition shares how free location app saved his life
- 8 Threatening domestic abuser tracked and assaulted ex partner of 10 years
- 9 'Savage' attack left man without spleen
- 10 'Father' found guilty of murdering his teenage daughter
Jan Davison, home manager, said: “We wanted to be involved with the Red Bag Scheme to help our residents who do not have capacity.
“Our teams have a really good system going to ensure the bags are packed accordingly with all the items the resident needs along with the detailed documentation.
“I would recommend the Red Bags to other care home as it ensures that hospital has all the right information about that individual.”