FENLAND: Arsonists destroy classic Bentleys at garage in quiet country lane at Coates
ARSONISTS caused tens of thousands of pounds worth of damage when they destroyed two vintage cars in a Fenland garage. Two Bentleys were destroyed in the blaze which broke out in the early hours of Saturday in Eldernell Lane, Coates, near Whittlesey. Fire
ARSONISTS caused tens of thousands of pounds worth of damage when they destroyed two vintage cars in a Fenland garage.
Two Bentleys were destroyed in the blaze which broke out in the early hours of Saturday in Eldernell Lane, Coates, near Whittlesey.
Fire crews, who called in extra help to tackle the blaze and dampen the flames, alerted police after evidence of arson emerged.
Police believe that a five letter word scrawled on a nearby wall is clear evidence of a probable arson attack. Fire chiefs are also investigating how the blaze started.
Fire crews arriving at the scene found the garage blazing fiercely and were unable to save the two classic cars stored there.
A fire service spokesman said: "Firefighters arrived to find the detached garage well alight with a large plume of smoke coming from it. They used two jets pumping water from a nearby open water source to extinguish the fire
- 1 Middlesbrough couple found in Cambs with drugs worth around £37,000
- 2 Lorry breaks down on A47 near Wisbech
- 3 EastEnders star Adam Woodyatt ‘to work at restaurant in Cambridgeshire’
- 4 Eye burglar smashed doors with brick and stole jewellery and chocolate
- 5 Family pay tribute to brothers, 13 and 17, killed in horror BMW crash
- 6 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 7 Megan realises netball dream ahead of Commonwealth Games bow
- 8 Ferry Project charity to host job fair in Wisbech
- 9 ‘Sudden death’ reported at Nene and Ramnoth School in Wisbech
- 10 Man admits west Norfolk arson
"The garage measured about 10m by 5m and contained two vintage Bentley cars.
"The cause of the fire was deliberate.