FENLAND: Animal charity Ashley's Ark donates �400 to dog sanctury in Spain
FENLAND animal charity Ashley s Ark donated �400 to a Spanish dog sanctuary to help care for abandoned dogs in Javea, Costa Blanca. The charity, set up in memory of teenager Ashley Sammons, raised the money through bingos and market stalls held in Emneth
FENLAND animal charity Ashley's Ark donated �400 to a Spanish dog sanctuary to help care for abandoned dogs in Javea, Costa Blanca.
The charity, set up in memory of teenager Ashley Sammons, raised the money through bingos and market stalls held in Emneth and Wisbech.
Ashley's mum, Dawn Sammons, of Emneth, discovered the dog sanctuary, run by the Association for the Protection of Animals (APASA), while on holiday and set about fundraising to help buy a desperately needed kennel.
Mrs Sammons said: "It was clear that the charity does so much to raise its own funds but many kennels needed repairing and replacing and Ashley's Ark was keen to help."
You may also want to watch:
APASA cares for more than 500 abandoned dogs every year, often from ex-pats who return home and leave their animals behind.
Maggie Shuck, APASA fundraiser in Spain, issued a 'heartfelt thanks' to people in the UK who contributed and said the kennel would have Ashley's name on it.
- 1 Wisbech nightspot up for sale for £410,000
- 2 A47 to close overnight near Wisbech for roadworks
- 3 CCTV released after shopkeeper assaulted in robbery
- 4 Cant's Drove loses 'worst road in the Fens' title
- 5 Worst road in Fenland? You'd better believe it
- 6 Man with rare heart condition shares how free location app saved his life
- 7 7 of the most expensive houses on the market in Cambridgeshire right now
- 8 HMO plans submitted for village pub
- 9 Eight page enforcement notice wrapped round giant cuppa
- 10 'Father' found guilty of murdering his teenage daughter
Mrs Sammons and other trustees from Ashley's Ark are to visit Spain again next month and will hold a bingo event in Moraira to raise further funds for the APASA.
To find out more visit www.ashleysark.org.