FENLAND: A47 closed for three hours as police try to catch Rottweiler
THE A47 between Wisbech and Guyhirn has been closed for three hours while police tried to catch a Rottweiler on the loose. Police were called shortly after 11am, with the Rottweiler running close to the A47 between the Cromwell Road roundabout and the Guy
THE A47 between Wisbech and Guyhirn has been closed for three hours while police tried to catch a Rottweiler on the loose.
Police were called shortly after 11am, with the Rottweiler running close to the A47 between the Cromwell Road roundabout and the Guyhirn roundabout.
Reports had also been received of the dog attacking a couple of members of the public, causing grazes.
A dog warden is at the scene, and a police dog handler was flown in by helicopter to catch the loose animal.
You may also want to watch:
The Rottweiler, which is not wearing a collar or lead, has now been fed two doses of sedatives and is being retrieved by the dog warden.
A police spokeswoman said: "The dog was running across fields and officers were hoping to get close to feed and catch it - but it ran off.
- 1 Wisbech nightspot up for sale for £410,000
- 2 Worst road in Fenland? You'd better believe it
- 3 Missing dog found thanks to drone footage
- 4 HMO plans submitted for village pub
- 5 Nail bars and car washes targeted in modern day slavery checks
- 6 'Father' found guilty of murdering his teenage daughter
- 7 Brexit blamed for plans to flatten Friday Bridge camp and build 100 homes
- 8 Drink driver fleeing traffic cops overturns before being arrested
- 9 'Every number is a lost life' - Worst Covid affected care homes in Cambs
- 10 Equipment worth £6,000 stolen from farm during overnight break-in
"We gave the dog two sedative tablets portioned in food, placed in bowls in the road. The second of the portions has knocked it out.
"At points the dog was running close to the A47 and causing a problem for traffic, so at noon the road was closed because we were concerned an accident might happen."
The Rottweiler will be taken to a vet to be checked. The A47 is set to reopen soon.