FENLAND: A47 closed for three hours as police try to catch Rottweiler
THE A47 between Wisbech and Guyhirn has been closed for three hours while police tried to catch a Rottweiler on the loose. Police were called shortly after 11am, with the Rottweiler running close to the A47 between the Cromwell Road roundabout and the Guy
THE A47 between Wisbech and Guyhirn has been closed for three hours while police tried to catch a Rottweiler on the loose.
Police were called shortly after 11am, with the Rottweiler running close to the A47 between the Cromwell Road roundabout and the Guyhirn roundabout.
Reports had also been received of the dog attacking a couple of members of the public, causing grazes.
A dog warden is at the scene, and a police dog handler was flown in by helicopter to catch the loose animal.
You may also want to watch:
The Rottweiler, which is not wearing a collar or lead, has now been fed two doses of sedatives and is being retrieved by the dog warden.
A police spokeswoman said: "The dog was running across fields and officers were hoping to get close to feed and catch it - but it ran off.
- 1 Coroner records Wisbech teenager’s death as suicide
- 2 High life ends for Bentley owning drug dealer
- 3 'Sorry for any delay' but we're getting there says vaccine rollout manager
- 4 County cops issue more than 60 Covid fines since beginning of 2021
- 5 Council tax frozen after eventful but non event year
- 6 Man who headbutted and spat at HMRC officers told to expect jail
- 7 Overgrown ditch ‘hasn’t been maintained for at least eight years’
- 8 Town council says market is operating safely and within Covid-19 guidelines
- 9 Ever get that sinking feeling?
- 10 Animal firm 'left behind' in bid to stay afloat during pandemic
"We gave the dog two sedative tablets portioned in food, placed in bowls in the road. The second of the portions has knocked it out.
"At points the dog was running close to the A47 and causing a problem for traffic, so at noon the road was closed because we were concerned an accident might happen."
The Rottweiler will be taken to a vet to be checked. The A47 is set to reopen soon.