FENLAND: A47 closed for three hours as police try to catch Rottweiler
THE A47 between Wisbech and Guyhirn has been closed for three hours while police tried to catch a Rottweiler on the loose. Police were called shortly after 11am, with the Rottweiler running close to the A47 between the Cromwell Road roundabout and the Guy
THE A47 between Wisbech and Guyhirn has been closed for three hours while police tried to catch a Rottweiler on the loose.
Police were called shortly after 11am, with the Rottweiler running close to the A47 between the Cromwell Road roundabout and the Guyhirn roundabout.
Reports had also been received of the dog attacking a couple of members of the public, causing grazes.
A dog warden is at the scene, and a police dog handler was flown in by helicopter to catch the loose animal.
You may also want to watch:
The Rottweiler, which is not wearing a collar or lead, has now been fed two doses of sedatives and is being retrieved by the dog warden.
A police spokeswoman said: "The dog was running across fields and officers were hoping to get close to feed and catch it - but it ran off.
- 1 Woman threatened for not wearing mask describes fear for safety
- 2 Five fire crews called to building blaze
- 3 Fen farm on more than 200 acres of land up for sale for £2.2million
- 4 Octavia Hill’s Birthplace House gets share of £1.57billion fund
- 5 Stronger bonds can be key to success, believes Fenmen boss
- 6 Historian who wrote 126 books and spent 64 years bellringing dies aged 90
- 7 ‘Numerous’ number plate thefts reported to police across region
- 8 'I lived in the woods' - Suspected murder victim reveals five year ordeal
- 9 Restaurant launches bright pink ‘selfie areas’ ahead of reopening
- 10 Businesses reopen as lockdown restrictions ease
"We gave the dog two sedative tablets portioned in food, placed in bowls in the road. The second of the portions has knocked it out.
"At points the dog was running close to the A47 and causing a problem for traffic, so at noon the road was closed because we were concerned an accident might happen."
The Rottweiler will be taken to a vet to be checked. The A47 is set to reopen soon.