Father saves his family from kitchen fire in New Drove, Wisbech

PUBLISHED: 10:03 19 September 2016 | UPDATED: 10:04 19 September 2016

Father saves his family from kitchen fire in New Drove, Wisbech

Father saves his family from kitchen fire in New Drove, Wisbech

Archant

A Wisbech father saved his wife and children by making sure they were out of their New Drove house when a fire started in the kitchen.

Homeowner Michael Chapman put the fire out using a two pint glass after ensuring that the power to the cooker was isolated.

The kitchen caught fire on Thursday (15) after a grill pan caught alight during cooking.

“If I had left it, it would have been a lot worse,” he said.

Two firefighters wearing breathing apparatus then used positive pressure ventilation fans to clear smoke.

The two residents were treated for smoke inhalation and the children were not affected.

The cause of the fire was accidental by person.

A Cambs Fire spokesman said: “Always make sure grease is cleared up before cooking, as build ups can easily set alight.”


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Wisbech Standard. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Wisbech Standard