Father saves his family from kitchen fire in New Drove, Wisbech
- Credit: Archant
A Wisbech father saved his wife and children by making sure they were out of their New Drove house when a fire started in the kitchen.
Homeowner Michael Chapman put the fire out using a two pint glass after ensuring that the power to the cooker was isolated.
The kitchen caught fire on Thursday (15) after a grill pan caught alight during cooking.
“If I had left it, it would have been a lot worse,” he said.
Two firefighters wearing breathing apparatus then used positive pressure ventilation fans to clear smoke.
You may also want to watch:
The two residents were treated for smoke inhalation and the children were not affected.
The cause of the fire was accidental by person.
- 1 Empty Wisbech shop earmarked for slots and bingo
- 2 Success after six year battle to get 21 homes approved on factory site
- 3 Suspected paedophile, 61, arrested in front of thousands on live video
- 4 Matilda, 9, sold her dolls to raise money for charity close to her heart
- 5 Letters: Mayor's tribute, poem for a pigeon and letter release refusal
- 6 Three derelict cottages ‘would make an ideal renovation project’
- 7 Man, 53, found in 'possession of knife' in Queensgate Shopping Centre
- 8 Ex-glider pilot and education pioneer dies
- 9 Mum caught driving with revoked license on school run gets car seized
- 10 Man in critical condition after single-vehicle crash
A Cambs Fire spokesman said: “Always make sure grease is cleared up before cooking, as build ups can easily set alight.”