Fatal accident kills motorist
A MOTORIST has died this afternoon (Friday) in a fatal accident a mile from Whitemoor Prison on the outskirts of March.Initial support say a man, aged about 35, died after the car he was driving left Graysmoor Drove, between March and Coldham, and entered a water-filled
A MOTORIST has died this afternoon (Friday) in a fatal accident a mile from Whitemoor Prison on the outskirts of March.
Initial support say a man, aged about 35, died after the car he was driving left Graysmoor Drove, between March and Coldham, and entered a water-filled ditch.
Police officers, a total of five fire engines, a land ambulance and the air ambulance were all called at 1.09pm to reports that the vehicle left the road.
Emergency crews rescued the casualty from the car and tried unsuccessfully to save the motorist involved.
Eye witnesses say no other vehicle was involved and police closed off Graysmoor Drove at its junction with the Twenty Foot Road.
A recovery vehicle soon followed to retrieve the car from the ditch and left the scene at 4.20pm. Graysmoor Drove remains closed.
- 1 Breakup and burglary! Couple's chaos after £101m win on Euromillions
- 2 Man, 28, and boy, 15, arrested after major A1101 crash in Wisbech
- 3 Knife-wielding teen jailed after week-long crime spree in Wisbech
- 4 Recap: Main road through Wisbech town centre shut after serious crash
- 5 Man arrested in Wisbech after illegally entering UK three times
- 6 Village road closing for five weeks for temporary barrier installation
- 7 Inside Wisbech's new 'Get Out' escape room
- 8 Jailed: 58-year-old burglar who stole £57,000 BMW M4 in Wisbech
- 9 Recap: A47 shut near Wisbech and King's Lynn after evening crash
- 10 Family pay tribute to brothers, 13 and 17, killed in horror BMW crash
The body has been taken to the Queen Elizabeth Hospital in King’s Lynn. A police spokeswoman said police were “having difficulty tracing the person involved”.
It is the second accident this year already in which the occupant of a car died after it left the road and entered a Fenland ditch.
Last month, nine-year-old Charlotte Walker from Tipp’s End, near Welney, died after the car she was travelling in left the road and entered the Sixteen Foot Drain near Bedlam Bridge, March.