Family escape 'devastating fire' that ripped through home
- Credit: Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue Service
A family made a lucky escape after a “devastating fire” ripped through their home.
Fire crews from Cottenham, Cambridge, Huntingdon and Bury St Edmunds were called at 8.18pm to Pheasant Rise in Bar Hill on December 2 to a well-developed fire.
"The fire started in the kitchen and spread quickly to other areas of the house,” Paul Clarke, station commander, said.
“An item on top of an electric hob was set alight following a ring being accidentally switched on.
“The plastic caught fire and quickly spread up the walls and throughout the kitchen, before spreading to the rest of the ground floor and the first floor.”
Firefighters extinguished the fire using hose reels, jets and a multistar aerial appliance to tackle the blaze from above, before returning to their stations at 1am.
Mr Clarke said the “devastating fire has caused significant damage to this family’s home.
- 1 A47 near Wisbech set to close for seven weekends due to roadworks
- 2 Father and son accused of man's murder set to stand trial this summer
- 3 New cops truck catches out law-breaking drivers in successful week
- 4 Jail for suspected hare courser who forced cars off road during police pursuit
- 5 Farmer wins appeal to convert derelict barn into a house
- 6 Second river crash in a week as driver escapes injury
- 7 Man set to stand trial accused of teen daughter's murder
- 8 Seven places where £4.9m road maintenance has been approved
- 9 Mother of Rikki Neave 'told the truth and nothing but the truth', jury told
- 10 Footballer, Harry, hoping for future in professional football
“However, the working smoke alarms in the property allowed the family to escape safely before the fire spread and thankfully no injuries were sustained.”