Families turn out to support Wisbech mum Linda in her fight to get private liver cancer treatment
- Credit: Archant
Fun in the sun raised money for a fund raiser for a Wisbech mum who needs to raise £30,000 for pioneering treatment for liver cancer.
The event was hosted at Wisbech Rugby Club and saw families pour on to the field for a range of activities to help bring in funds for Linda Smith.
A GoFundMe page raised more than £18,000 in two weeks and the rugby club event is hoped to take it closer to the £30,000 total needed for private treatment at Hammersmith Hospital in London, not available on the NHS.
Linda Smith and her family have been overwhelmed by the support from people in the community, said her daughter Lois.
“We have had amazing support from people in the town and also from further away even from somebody from Wales,” she said.
You may also want to watch:
“We want to say thank you to everybody who has supported us it means so much.”
Events coming up to boost Linda’s fund raising are:
- 1 Bullying and insider trader claims pile up against former deputy leader
- 2 Mum caught driving with revoked license on school run gets car seized
- 3 Police officer sacked for racially abusing colleague at Christmas party
- 4 Vicar's concerns over 'hugely vulnerable' rough sleepers
- 5 Man in critical condition after single-vehicle crash
- 6 Rural crime police recover dog in ‘poor state’ while on site check
- 7 Woman threatened for not wearing mask describes fear for safety
- 8 Police hunt homemade go-kart ‘causing anti-social behaviour’
- 9 Podcast revisits the mysterious missing case of Terry McSpadden
- 10 'I lived in the woods' - Suspected murder victim reveals five year ordeal
• Leverington Sports and Social Club family disco on Friday July 21 from 7.30pm. Tickets £5.
• March Town Hall on Friday July 28 from 7pm to 11pm. Various bands.
Linda has fund raised for others for 12 years as her way of celebrating beating breast cancer - but now it is her turn to ask for help.
Her family researched and found a treatment at Hammersmith Hospital in London after local health authorities said there were no treatments available through the NHS.
Visit her GoFundMe page here.