Tree knocked down by heavy winds wipes out power cables
- Credit: Policing Fenland
Police managed to reopen a road just in time for rush hour traffic this morning after a fallen down tree wiped out power cables at around 4am.
Heavy winds overnight caused a tree to fall on Dowgate Road in Leverington this morning, leaving debris across the road and knocking down a power cable post.
Officers were forced to close the road while the scene was cleared by a JCB vehicle and while UK Power Networks dealt with the fallen wires.
A spokesperson for Cambridgeshire Police said at around 3.50am: “Dowgate Road, Leverington is closed due to a fallen tree which has taken out the power cables at the location.
“UK Power networks are on scene dealing.”
Just two hours later they posted: “Dowgate Road, Leverington has re-opened following repairs to a power line.”
“Bit of excitement to watch. Well done and stay safe,” said one resident.
- 1 Teenager, 19, on County Drug Lines heroin and crack cocaine charge
- 2 Former Wisbech mayor Aigars Balsevics charged with rape
- 3 Dealer flees on foot leaving drugs, cash and his bike behind
- 4 Cup winners, bumper crowds and an ex-England star amongst Fenmen success
- 5 Teens arrested after woman threatened with hammer in Wisbech
- 6 Take a look inside this £600,000 converted barn hidden in the Fens
- 7 Plumbing ringleader who ‘traded under multiple names’ jailed
- 8 Motorists face extra time on journeys due to A141 closure
- 9 Official who probed Covid breaches by councillors fears for job
- 10 Post office break-in linked to three other ram raids, say police