‘Please don’t leave local last...’ pharmacist urges
- Credit: Archant
Fairbrother Pharmacy, Wisbech, helped many customers get hold of medication during the coronavirus lockdown - and their efforts haven’t gone unnoticed.
Pharmacist Mina Patel said: “We know our efforts during the lockdown have been appreciated.
“After the lockdown measures were eased, people have been in to say thank you for helping them.
“As a local business serving the community, it feels good to get that kind of feedback.”
She added: “Makes all the hard work seem worthwhile.”
You may also want to watch:
The pharmacy, in Church Terrace, offer customers a free delivery service.
And when national chains were unable to handle customer requests at the height of the pandemic, smaller local pharmacies stepped in.
- 1 Teenager, 16, threatened young couple with screwdriver in park
- 2 Abandoned mooring could cost £50,000 to replace, says council
- 3 Residents told 'not to approach' illegal encampment
- 4 Drug dealer hid £130,000 at home
- 5 Not breaking news: Vicar with a vision, illegal fishing, workhouses and fork theft
- 6 Lorry driver who died in B1085 crash named
- 7 Father murders daughter’s ex-partner in 'frenzied' multiple knife attack
- 8 Town rallies in fight for new hospital
- 9 Knife attack man jailed for 10 years over £20 'debt'
- 10 Wisbech nightspot up for sale for £410,000
To cope with the surge in demand themselves, Fairbrother Pharmacy had to employ more staff. It now has 13 on payroll.
Mina said: “You will find that local businesses will go out of their way to help you. They go the extra mile and we’re a prime example of that.
“We want to look after our customers, and offer a personal service.”
She added: “Yes, we’re a business but at the end of the day we’re here to serve our community as well - and that’s really important to us.”
While it can be tempting to buy pharmacy-related products from online retailers, Mina urges against this even if the price is better.
She said: “There are so many fake products online, you have to be really careful.
“When you buy from us, you will get trusted and regulated products.
“Plus we can offer advice, and lots of people like to talk through their options with a familiar face they trust.”
She added: “It isn’t easy to talk to a computer and human interaction is important for a lot of our customers.
“Especially now when so many people have been isolated for a long time.”
Unfortunately, the reality is that most shoppers only tend to use their local businesses in an emergency, when they can’t get hold of a particular product or if they need advice from an expert.
Mina said: “Please don’t leave local last, think of us first... that has to be my final message.”
Find Fairbrother Pharmacy at 5, Church Terrace. Their phone number is 01945 583965.
• If you’re an independent trader and would like to back our Shop Local campaign contact Louise Hepburn at firstname.lastname@example.org.