Shop Local: Evisons introduces a more modern clothing range to its traditional setting
- Credit: Archant
After lockdown was lifted, Evisons recently introduced a more modern and popular womenswear brand.
Evisons has kept its traditional charm and character, but it recently started offering a more modern womenswear range.
Owner Neil Bullen, and his wife Becky, are now stocking Tigi womenswear, a brand that was popular in Beales before it closed.
He said: “There aren’t many womenswear brands available in Wisbech and they were keen to have an outlet selling their items.
“So we thought we’d give it a go as it’s something a bit different for us and the new Tigi area in the shop looks great.
“We still offer our traditional items but if we don’t try new things out, we’ll never know.
Throughout lockdown Evisons took phone orders, mainly for specialist items like workwear and men’s pyjamas.
- 1 Main road through Wisbech town centre shut after serious crash
- 2 Middlesbrough couple found in Cambs with drugs worth around £37,000
- 3 Lorry breaks down on A47 near Wisbech
- 4 Princess Anne waves from Range Rover after landing in Wisbech
- 5 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 6 Family pay tribute to brothers, 13 and 17, killed in horror BMW crash
- 7 EastEnders star Adam Woodyatt ‘to work at restaurant in Cambridgeshire’
- 8 Eye burglar smashed doors with brick and stole jewellery and chocolate
- 9 Boys, 13 and 17 killed in horror BMW crash near A47 in Peterborough
- 10 Tribute to ‘much-loved’ school worker who died suddenly in Wisbech
Neil said: “As we sold workwear for some key workers, it was a bit of a grey area as to whether we could open or not.
“But we still wanted to be there for our customers, so I forwarded the shop number to my mobile and I carried on taking calls.
“We took orders over the phone, and arranged for customers to pop in and collect their items.”
He added: “I didn’t want to let anyone down as it was a stressful time for everyone.”
It could easily be argued that Evisons is an important aspect of the town’s heritage.
The shop, on the corner of the High Street in Wisbech, is one of the last on the street to have a traditional glazed shopfront and a tiled entrance.
Many others were modernised during the 60s and 70s.
And Neil, who is the third generation to be part of the family business, is proud the shop still offers customers a friendly and personal service.
His grandfather took over the shop from the Evisons family in the 1960s and later had a shoe shop in Norwich Street.
Black and white photographs from before then are on display next to the main counter, which is now covered with a piece of Perspex to meet government coronavirus measures.
Neil said: “What we offer is specialist products, which are good quality at good prices.
“If people don’t use independent, we will go out of business. Family businesses that have been part of the town for many years - and that would be a real shame.”
Visit Evisons refreshed website at www.evisons.com. The shop is located at 19 High Street. Its telephone number is 01945 584290.
• If you’re an independent trader and would like to back our Shop Local campaign contact Louise Hepburn at firstname.lastname@example.org.