Employers warned against age discrimination
A WISBECH firm of solicitors has warned local employers to clean up their advertising to avoid age discrimination. You can no longer advertise for a mature or youthful member of staff, says Paul Garner, of Metcalfe, Copeman and Pettefar. You must only
A WISBECH firm of solicitors has warned local employers to clean up their advertising to avoid age discrimination.
"You can no longer advertise for a mature or youthful member of staff," says Paul Garner, of Metcalfe, Copeman and Pettefar.
"You must only ask for someone experienced if it is a genuine requirement of the job."
The company issued its warning on the eve of new age discrimination legislation which will come into force on October 1.
"This will have huge implications for businesses in East Anglia," said Mr Garner. "The legislation involves direct and indirect discrimination, harassment and victimisation and will protect people of all ages, not just the old.
The legislation means that all decisions will have to be taken based on ability and age cannot have any bearing.
- 1 Mechanic turned astrophotographer's stunning images of space
- 2 Missing woman back home
- 3 WATCH: Emotional tribute to honour and remember crash victim
- 4 Academy students pitch to the ‘dragons’ for new sports club
- 5 'Fantastic, loving, cheeky' 19-year-old killed in motorbike crash
- 6 Roll up, roll up, for the Fenland Council mini ‘sale of the century’
- 7 Wife pays tribute to ex-footballer who 'I could always rely on'
- 8 Zip-shaped mark on Rikki's body came from his anorak – the one used to strangle him, court told
- 9 Teenage motorcyclist dies after BMW crash
- 10 Pastor in freedom of speech and job fight over Pride tweet
Mr Garner added: "It is going to require a culture change for people to understand that these practices are no longer acceptable.
"Many businesses simply do not realise how many of their practices will be affected by this new legislation and could easily leave themselves open to a claim."
He said: "This will be a busy time for solicitors as we help businesses to update their practices and also help employees with their claims.