Employers warned against age discrimination
A WISBECH firm of solicitors has warned local employers to clean up their advertising to avoid age discrimination. You can no longer advertise for a mature or youthful member of staff, says Paul Garner, of Metcalfe, Copeman and Pettefar. You must only
A WISBECH firm of solicitors has warned local employers to clean up their advertising to avoid age discrimination.
"You can no longer advertise for a mature or youthful member of staff," says Paul Garner, of Metcalfe, Copeman and Pettefar.
"You must only ask for someone experienced if it is a genuine requirement of the job."
The company issued its warning on the eve of new age discrimination legislation which will come into force on October 1.
You may also want to watch:
"This will have huge implications for businesses in East Anglia," said Mr Garner. "The legislation involves direct and indirect discrimination, harassment and victimisation and will protect people of all ages, not just the old.
The legislation means that all decisions will have to be taken based on ability and age cannot have any bearing.
- 1 Body found in Wisbech road
- 2 Travellers move onto sports field forcing football to be cancelled
- 3 Crash driver four and a half times over drink drive limit
- 4 Mayor opens Wisbech community hub
- 5 Family remembers 'cheeky, friendly and well-liked' mechanic
- 6 ‘High risk’ paedophile had indecent images of children on his phone
- 7 Chatteris firm with £20m growth plan
- 8 Cambridgeshire care homes back compulsory Covid-19 jabs for staff
- 9 Urgent police appeal to find man missing since Thursday
- 10 Victim of ‘joke’ that backfired left paralysed
Mr Garner added: "It is going to require a culture change for people to understand that these practices are no longer acceptable.
"Many businesses simply do not realise how many of their practices will be affected by this new legislation and could easily leave themselves open to a claim."
He said: "This will be a busy time for solicitors as we help businesses to update their practices and also help employees with their claims.