Employers warned against age discrimination
A WISBECH firm of solicitors has warned local employers to clean up their advertising to avoid age discrimination. You can no longer advertise for a mature or youthful member of staff, says Paul Garner, of Metcalfe, Copeman and Pettefar. You must only
A WISBECH firm of solicitors has warned local employers to clean up their advertising to avoid age discrimination.
"You can no longer advertise for a mature or youthful member of staff," says Paul Garner, of Metcalfe, Copeman and Pettefar.
"You must only ask for someone experienced if it is a genuine requirement of the job."
The company issued its warning on the eve of new age discrimination legislation which will come into force on October 1.
You may also want to watch:
"This will have huge implications for businesses in East Anglia," said Mr Garner. "The legislation involves direct and indirect discrimination, harassment and victimisation and will protect people of all ages, not just the old.
The legislation means that all decisions will have to be taken based on ability and age cannot have any bearing.
- 1 Election shock: Tories lose overall control of Cambridgeshire County Council
- 2 Tories retain two Wisbech seats for county council
- 3 Man on the run after stealing e-scooter from child
- 4 Two charged with Wisbech murder
- 5 Suspected drug dealers arrested in Wisbech raid
- 6 Election 2021: Wisbech West tops poll for lowest turnout
- 7 Tories retain Octavia Hill ward in by election
- 8 Drink driver TWICE rammed off-duty officers' car
- 9 Three derelict cottages sell in auction for £122,000
- 10 Arsonists strike again by setting fire to tyres
Mr Garner added: "It is going to require a culture change for people to understand that these practices are no longer acceptable.
"Many businesses simply do not realise how many of their practices will be affected by this new legislation and could easily leave themselves open to a claim."
He said: "This will be a busy time for solicitors as we help businesses to update their practices and also help employees with their claims.