EMNETH: Friend helps Barrie identify the plant that just kept growing and growing
WHEN Barrie Cowling bought a small mystery plant for his garden from Wisbech market he had no idea what it was or how high it was going to grow. For the last five or six years the plant has flourished in his woodland garden at The Wroe, Emneth. But this y
WHEN Barrie Cowling bought a small mystery plant for his garden from Wisbech market he had no idea what it was or how high it was going to grow.
For the last five or six years the plant has flourished in his woodland garden at The Wroe, Emneth.
But this year 80-year-old Mr Cowling was amazed to see buds suddenly appear on 10ft high shoots.
He said: "I hadn't been out in that part of the garden for a week or two and then I saw these flowers towering up. When the flowers open they look as if they are going to be very dark red, they are most unusual."
You may also want to watch:
The plant has become quite a talking point among visitors to the garden and now a friend has identified the plant as being a Phormium, or New Zealand flax.
The long leaf fibres have played an important part in the culture, history and economy of New Zealand. The flax fibres were made into baskets, mats and fishing nets. Flax was also widely used for medicinal purposes with the sticky snap used on wounds and boils. The root gave a juice that was used as a disinfectant and the leaves were also used as dressings for wounds.
- 1 Success after six year battle to get 21 homes approved on factory site
- 2 ‘You now have s**t on your face,’ objector to planning scheme told
- 3 Suspected drink-driver, 41, arrested after tip-off from resident
- 4 Police thank eagle-eyed motorist for being ‘right place, right time’
- 5 Empty Wisbech shop earmarked for slots and bingo
- 6 Man who died in road crash is named
- 7 Suspected paedophile, 61, arrested in live Facebook video stream
- 8 Entrepreneurs’ lockdown invention wins big at London competition
- 9 Reporter shares mid-treatment stages of teeth transformation
- 10 How was conman hired as NHS finance boss five months after being unmasked?