Elgood’s wins national award for its Spring Challenge beer
- Credit: Archant
A Fenland family-run brewers has won a national award for its Spring Challenge beer.
Elgood’s, of Wisbech, won the J D Wetherspoon Standard Bitter Class category at its national beer festival.
Spring Challenge (3.7 per cent ABV), a light coloured beer, was chosen out of a field of 50 beers following a blind tasting session. Judges included brewers, CAMRA (Campaign for Real Ale) members and Wetherspoon staff.
Last year, Elgood’s Plum Porter won its Speciality Class at the same festival.
Festival organiser David Aucutt said: “Many of the judges attending this competition commented on the overall high standard of the beers they tasted, so to have won this award was certainly an achievement.
You may also want to watch:
“Having sampled Spring Challenge, I would like to congratulate Elgood’s on providing us with a beer that has such a superbly balanced character and an impressively full flavour for a beer of this strength.”
Beers were divided into classes and judged blindly by the panel, which included:
- 1 Homeless champion delighted as young couple finally have shelter
- 2 Frightened cancer patient with Covid relieved as hospital extend stay
- 3 Former Top Gear star Rory Reid spotted filming with Lamborghini
- 4 The Queen Elizabeth Hospital launches Covid-19 patient helpline
- 5 Rough sleepers helped from tents pitched on private land
- 6 Cops 'cash and carry' raid nets 108 cannabis plants and £100,000
- 7 Council chairman urges people to have Covid-19 vaccine when offered
- 8 Environment Agency seize 52 illegal fishing devices from region’s rivers
- 9 Care home 'requires improvement' after unannounced visit
- 10 Man charged with drink driving, possession of a knife and cannabis
Belinda Sutton, managing director of Elgood’s, said: “To win this award against such tough competition is excellent news and to receive best in class for an Elgood’s beer two year’s running is a tribute to our brewing team.”