Elgood’s Coolship Lambic-style beer wins silver medal at International Brewery Awards in field of almost 1,000 beers
- Credit: Archant
A Fen brewery’s offering has come second out of close to 1,000 beers in an international beer competition.
Elgood’s Lambic-style beer Coolship was awarded the silver medal in the Speciality Beer category in the bi-annual International Brewery Awards following a three-day judging session at the National Brewery Centre in Burton-upon-Trent.
A panel of 43 judges assessed almost 1,000 beers and ciders submitted from 50 countries.
Claire Simpson, marketing director of Elgood’s Brewery, said: “To be awarded the Silver Medal in the Speciality category for one of our newest beers is wonderful, especially as we are competing against such tough international competition.
“We were up against nine other Lambic/Sour beers from Belgium and the USA.
You may also want to watch:
“It’s particularly pleasing that we were the only Brewery to win a medal for our Lambic/Sour beer in the group.”
Elgood’s is one of the only brewers in the UK which brews a Lambic-style beer, which is made using cooling trays.
- 1 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 2 Tonight's 24 Hours in Police Custody follows brutal Cambridgeshire murder
- 3 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 4 Bid to ban ex- mayor running pub “a joke” says cabinet member
- 5 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 6 22 arrests, drugs, cash and weapons seized in county lines crackdown
- 7 Photos show grim reality of life on the streets
- 8 Take 10 initiative leaves students ‘buzzing’ about literacy
- 9 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 10 Sat nav 'takes one for the team' in bridge crash
These allow the beer to cool naturally overnight, attracting a range of wild yeasts and flavours dominant in the area.
The beer then undergoes a spontaneous fermentation over a period of six to nine months.