Elgood’s Coolship Lambic-style beer wins silver medal at International Brewery Awards in field of almost 1,000 beers
- Credit: Archant
A Fen brewery’s offering has come second out of close to 1,000 beers in an international beer competition.
Elgood’s Lambic-style beer Coolship was awarded the silver medal in the Speciality Beer category in the bi-annual International Brewery Awards following a three-day judging session at the National Brewery Centre in Burton-upon-Trent.
A panel of 43 judges assessed almost 1,000 beers and ciders submitted from 50 countries.
Claire Simpson, marketing director of Elgood’s Brewery, said: “To be awarded the Silver Medal in the Speciality category for one of our newest beers is wonderful, especially as we are competing against such tough international competition.
“We were up against nine other Lambic/Sour beers from Belgium and the USA.
You may also want to watch:
“It’s particularly pleasing that we were the only Brewery to win a medal for our Lambic/Sour beer in the group.”
Elgood’s is one of the only brewers in the UK which brews a Lambic-style beer, which is made using cooling trays.
- 1 Van crashes into pram, killing five month old baby
- 2 Dad's emotional tribute after baby son dies in A10 horror crash
- 3 'Chopper was a hard worker and put himself about' - tribute to ex-Fenmen star
- 4 Covid-19 numbers in Fenland higher than rest of county
- 5 Stolen American-style fridge was lifted over 10ft security fence
- 6 County council ploughs £3.4m into farm deal
- 7 Council chief executive accused of 'indifference' over Covid-19 response
- 8 'Eccentric traveller' to ride Penny-Farthing from London to Paris
- 9 Crash boy's mum says he's 'badly shaken but OK'
- 10 First large-scale Cambs Covid-19 vaccination centres open this week
These allow the beer to cool naturally overnight, attracting a range of wild yeasts and flavours dominant in the area.
The beer then undergoes a spontaneous fermentation over a period of six to nine months.