Electrical engineer Martin excited about challenge of taking over Gorefield village pub Woodmans Cottage
- Credit: Archant
An electrical engineer has taken the plunge and bought his local pub.
Martin Walpole has taken over Woodmans Cottage, of High Street, Gorefield. Neither him nor his sister Jane Brown, who will manage the pub, have any experience in the trade.
Mr Walpole, who was born within yards of the pub, thinks he can transform the pub’s fortunes.
“I was born about 150 yards away from the pub and I really wanted to see it doing well again and restored to its former glory,” he said.
“This is the first time I’ve done this. I’m an electrical engineer - I’ve never run a pub before. My sister Jane is the same. We’re jumping in at the deep end.”
You may also want to watch:
Mr Walpole is going all out to make the pub a success. He has overseen an extensive refurbishment so it can become a hub for entertainment.
But the emphasis will be on fine dining on high quality food, Mr Walpole says.
- 1 Success after six year battle to get 21 homes approved on factory site
- 2 Empty Wisbech shop earmarked for slots and bingo
- 3 ‘You now have s**t on your face,’ objector to planning scheme told
- 4 Man who died in road crash is named
- 5 Suspected paedophile, 61, arrested in live Facebook video stream
- 6 Adult disability service on staying strong during Covid-19 pandemic
- 7 Letters: Mayor's tribute, poem for a pigeon and letter release refusal
- 8 Reporter shares mid-treatment stages of teeth transformation
- 9 Matilda, 9, sold her dolls to raise money for charity close to her heart
- 10 Three derelict cottages ‘would make an ideal renovation project’
He added: “We’ve done extensive work on the pub to make it more family friendly.
“We’ve brought in a chef who has 12 years experience in the RAF. We’ll be doing lunches, evening sittings and a Sunday carvery. There will be an emphasis on good food and fine dining.”
To make a booking at the pub, call 01945 871094.