Electrical engineer Martin excited about challenge of taking over Gorefield village pub Woodmans Cottage
- Credit: Archant
An electrical engineer has taken the plunge and bought his local pub.
Martin Walpole has taken over Woodmans Cottage, of High Street, Gorefield. Neither him nor his sister Jane Brown, who will manage the pub, have any experience in the trade.
Mr Walpole, who was born within yards of the pub, thinks he can transform the pub’s fortunes.
“I was born about 150 yards away from the pub and I really wanted to see it doing well again and restored to its former glory,” he said.
“This is the first time I’ve done this. I’m an electrical engineer - I’ve never run a pub before. My sister Jane is the same. We’re jumping in at the deep end.”
You may also want to watch:
Mr Walpole is going all out to make the pub a success. He has overseen an extensive refurbishment so it can become a hub for entertainment.
But the emphasis will be on fine dining on high quality food, Mr Walpole says.
- 1 Wisbech nightspot up for sale for £410,000
- 2 Pets saved in horrific rescue start to be rehomed
- 3 Cant's Drove loses 'worst road in the Fens' title
- 4 A47 to close overnight near Wisbech for roadworks
- 5 7 of the most expensive houses on the market in Cambridgeshire right now
- 6 Man with rare heart condition shares how free location app saved his life
- 7 CCTV released after shopkeeper assaulted in robbery
- 8 Threatening domestic abuser tracked and assaulted ex partner of 10 years
- 9 'Savage' attack left man without spleen
- 10 'Father' found guilty of murdering his teenage daughter
He added: “We’ve done extensive work on the pub to make it more family friendly.
“We’ve brought in a chef who has 12 years experience in the RAF. We’ll be doing lunches, evening sittings and a Sunday carvery. There will be an emphasis on good food and fine dining.”
To make a booking at the pub, call 01945 871094.