Electrical engineer Martin excited about challenge of taking over Gorefield village pub Woodmans Cottage
- Credit: Archant
An electrical engineer has taken the plunge and bought his local pub.
Martin Walpole has taken over Woodmans Cottage, of High Street, Gorefield. Neither him nor his sister Jane Brown, who will manage the pub, have any experience in the trade.
Mr Walpole, who was born within yards of the pub, thinks he can transform the pub’s fortunes.
“I was born about 150 yards away from the pub and I really wanted to see it doing well again and restored to its former glory,” he said.
“This is the first time I’ve done this. I’m an electrical engineer - I’ve never run a pub before. My sister Jane is the same. We’re jumping in at the deep end.”
You may also want to watch:
Mr Walpole is going all out to make the pub a success. He has overseen an extensive refurbishment so it can become a hub for entertainment.
But the emphasis will be on fine dining on high quality food, Mr Walpole says.
- 1 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 2 Emporium takes business to next level
- 3 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 4 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
- 5 Family friends to cycle from Wales to Wisbech to create more happy memories
- 6 So that's settled - Government not council will fund new school
- 7 Man found dead in March
- 8 Cyclist stabbed in broad daylight attack
- 9 New era begins at table tennis club rescued from the brink
He added: “We’ve done extensive work on the pub to make it more family friendly.
“We’ve brought in a chef who has 12 years experience in the RAF. We’ll be doing lunches, evening sittings and a Sunday carvery. There will be an emphasis on good food and fine dining.”
To make a booking at the pub, call 01945 871094.