Eight injured and five trapped after van leaves the A1101 near Wisbech - road will stay closed till further notice
- Credit: Archant
Eight people were injured and five were trapped in a van that crashed into a ditch at Leverington near Wisbech.
Fire crews rushed to Sutton Road on the A1101 at around 6am today after receiving reports that people were trapped.
Firefighters from Wisbech and King’s Lynn worked to free the five people trapped inside the vehicle.
The three crews then provided care until a fleet of ambulances arrived.
Fenland Police have said the road will remain closed for “some time due to a serious injury”.
You may also want to watch:
Sutton road is blocked in both directions between the Parson Drove Lane junction and the Dowgate Road junction.
Fenland Police tweeted: “Sutton Road #Wisbech is going to be closed for some time due to a serious injury”.
- 1 Empty Wisbech shop earmarked for slots and bingo
- 2 Suspected paedophile, 61, arrested in front of thousands on live video
- 3 Success after six year battle to get 21 homes approved on factory site
- 4 Matilda, 9, sold her dolls to raise money for charity close to her heart
- 5 Letters: Mayor's tribute, poem for a pigeon and letter release refusal
- 6 Three derelict cottages ‘would make an ideal renovation project’
- 7 Hundreds go bargain hunting in the sun at first car boot since lockdown
- 8 Ex-glider pilot and education pioneer dies
- 9 Man, 53, found in 'possession of knife' in Queensgate Shopping Centre
- 10 100 mile charity walk inspired by mum's breast cancer recovery
The A1101 Sutton Road at its junction with Parson Drove Lane near Wisbech is closed following a serious accident earlier today.
Police advised motorists to take alternative routes and expect the road to remain closed for some time.
“Specialist crews now on scene assisting,” said a police spokesman.
Police said Magpas Helimedix are on the scene “and assisting with injured parties.”
The spokesman said: “A1101 Sutton Road is going to be closed for some time due to a serious injury road traffic accident”.
Police emphasis the A1101 is closed in both directions.