Wisbech student heads to American university thanks to a financial study support programme
- Credit: Archant
A Wisbech student is going to college in America thanks to a financial study support package.
Edward Tranter, 18, who recently completed his A levels at Spalding Grammar School, has won a place at Swarthmore College after taking part in a special education programme.
Edward is one of 150 students selected for the Sutton Trust US Programme, run in partnership with the Fulbright Commission, which brings together some of the brightest and most talented UK state school pupils for an 18-month-long programme exploring US higher education.
It supports students to apply to American universities.
The programme includes a week-long trip to the United States to visit a number of universities and meet admissions officers from colleges across the US.
You may also want to watch:
Edward said, “The last 15 months have been exceptional! I always wanted to study in the US because of the increased academic freedom.
“Without the guidance I received from the US-UK Fulbright Commission my dream would have never been actualised. I owe the Commission hugely.”
- 1 Rough sleepers helped from tents pitched on private land
- 2 Frightened cancer patient with Covid relieved as hospital extend stay
- 3 Former Top Gear star Rory Reid spotted filming with Lamborghini
- 4 The Queen Elizabeth Hospital launches Covid-19 patient helpline
- 5 Cops 'cash and carry' raid nets 108 cannabis plants and £100,000
- 6 Man charged with drink driving, possession of a knife and cannabis
- 7 Council chairman urges people to have Covid-19 vaccine when offered
- 8 Care home 'requires improvement' after unannounced visit
- 9 Coroner records Wisbech teenager’s death as suicide
- 10 Shoplifter jailed after stealing goods worth £1,600
The students benefit from residential activities and receive an intensive programme of support covering admission tests, college choices and the application process.
More than 1,000 people applied for the 150 places on the programme.
Edward is one of 72 teenagers to have won a place at a top US university and his achievement was celebrated at a reception for them at the US Embassy in London.
Applications for next year’s programme open in November. Students can register their interest now. at http://us.suttontrust.com.