Students help create history at national Olympiad challenge
- Credit: Ian Burt Photography
Students at a Wisbech school put their knowledge to the test as part of two tough maths challenges.
Four students from Thomas Clarkson Academy (TCA) in Wisbech, three in Year 13 and one in Year 12, took part in the Mathematical Olympiad for Girls.
It was the first time merits had been achieved in the programme, and each student received a certificate following a two-and-a-half hour written test.
Year 11-13 students were also tested in the Senior Maths Challenge organised by the UK Mathematical Trust, which encourages various skills including precision of thought.
Dani Stevenson, maths teacher at TCA, said: “There were some very positive outcomes from the Year 11 students alongside the achievements of those of their older peers.”
James Youngs of Year 13 was awarded ‘best in school’, while Klavs Arbidans of Year 11 and Thomas Green of Year 12 earned the ‘best in year’ awards respectively.
Around 2,200 students from the UK take part in the Mathematical Olympiad.
- 1 WATCH: Emotional tribute to honour and remember crash victim
- 2 Wife pays tribute to ex-footballer who 'I could always rely on'
- 3 'Fantastic, loving, cheeky' 19-year-old killed in motorbike crash
- 4 5 suspects identified from New Year's Eve attack
- 5 £14.6m school transformation complete after two-year project
- 6 Teenage motorcyclist dies after BMW crash
- 7 Jail for man who threatened to kill former girlfriend
- 8 No balloons plea to death crash motorcycle tribute convoy
- 9 Family's questions over Covid death of beloved hospital care worker
- 10 Former Wisbech mayor Aigars Balsevics charged with rape
It is an annual contest designed to encourage girls and young women to tackle advanced maths problems and explain their solutions in written sentences.
Full list of Senior Maths Challenge students from TCA:
- Year 11 - Klavs Arbidans, Jasleen Dhillon Kaur, Kory Morgan, Monika Sabaliauskaite, Cushan Urquhart, Max Walencik.
- Year 12 - Thomas Green and Pijus Lucinskas.
- Year 13 - James Youngs, Cody Derry, Kristupas Karkalas, Aaron Malkin, Rhys Morgan, Emma Towler and Alexis Waters.