East Anglian Ex-Forces Big Band to lead charity concert at King’s Lynn Academy in aid of Help for Heroes
- Credit: Archant
The East Anglian Ex-Forces Big Band will once again be giving a charity fundraising concert at the King’s Lynn Academy on Saturday February 17 in aid of Help for Heroes.
This is the third time the band has performed at the school. The East Anglian Ex-Forces Big Band was formed in 2009 by Alan Norris & Bob Airzee.
Both men were members of the Regimental Band of the 1st Bn The Royal Anglian Regt. The majority of the band is ex-military musicians, many of whom continue to play professionally.
All of the band members give their time for free and since they were formed the band has raised just over £26,000 for Help 4 Heroes.
The musical director is Alan Norris who was at the then Gaywood Park School for Boy’s from 1957 – 1961.
You may also want to watch:
After leaving school he joined the 1st Bn East Anglian Regiment on October 16, 1961 in Bury St Edmunds. Serving 25 years he retired from the forces in 1987 with the rank of WO1.
Alan Norris is still heavily involved in music and runs his own Big Band. He also works with young musicians with a junior Swing Band based in March, Cambs.
- 1 Three stores evacuated after suspect 'bomb scare'
- 2 Body found in Wisbech road
- 3 Travellers move onto sports field forcing football to be cancelled
- 4 It's a family affair as planners consider five luxury homes
- 5 Turners ‘massively impacted’ and Knowles up pay to hire HGV drivers
- 6 Hares hit five, Wisbech win, Whittlesey victorious as Drove triumph
- 7 Crash driver four and a half times over drink drive limit
- 8 Mayor opens Wisbech community hub
- 9 Loft gives up its secret: £60,000 of cannabis plants
- 10 Police warn you may run but you can't hide from us
The band members travel from all parts of the UK to take part in the concert. One band member travels all the way from Cyprus.
The concert will include big band favourites from the 1940s to the present day.
There will be refreshments available and also a raffle. The concert start at 7.30pm and the doors open at 6.30pm.
Tickets, £10 for adults and £5 for under 16s, are on sale now. Call Scott Chapman on 07775 608460 to book or for more info.