Drink driver jailed for five years for killing his brother after losing control at 90mph
A MAN who killed his brother in a car crash has been sentenced to five years imprisonment.Mark Raftery, 36, was driving a Subaru Impreza along the A141 Isle of Ely Way, March, Cambridgeshire, when he lost control, causing fatal injuries to his brother
A MAN who killed his brother in a car crash has been sentenced to five years' imprisonment.
Mark Raftery, 36, was driving a Subaru Impreza along the A141 Isle of Ely Way, March, Cambridgeshire, when he lost control, causing fatal injuries to his brother Kevin. The crash happened on October 18, 2008.
Raftery, of Osbourne Road, Wisbech, pleaded guilty to death by dangerous driving and was sentenced on Wednesday at Cambridge Crown Court.
Inspector Alan Page from the roads policing unit, said: "This has been a particularly traumatic case for the family - they lost one son, and the other has been sentenced for his death.
You may also want to watch:
"This was also intensive for the investigating officers as Mark Raftery originally claimed to have no memory of the crash and could not remember if he was driving or not. However he was placed in the driver's seat following forensic tests."
The court heard that Raftery had 19 previous convictions for 41 offences. At the time of the crash he was driving at around 90mph whilst around three times over the drink drive limit.
- 1 Pervert filmed himself having sex with girl, 14, and then shared video online
- 2 Prison sentence for man who brutally attacked his partner
- 3 Man arrested on suspicion of murder after death of woman in her 70s
- 4 Two boys, aged 12 and 14, arrested after 3am service station burglary
- 5 Defeated mayor on 'incredible' and 'some truly awful' people he met
- 6 Epic escape fail for ‘armed thieves’ who crashed car into ditch
- 7 Police forensics team begin search after death of woman in her 70s
- 8 ‘This is not a puppy farm’ says breeder in response to planning objections
- 9 'Disbelief’ for disability centre after staff member’s scooter is stolen
- 10 Two charged with Wisbech murder
FULL STORY IN NEXT WEEK'S CAMBS TIMES/WISBECH STANDARD.
• To email your comments click here