Drink driver jailed for five years for killing his brother after losing control at 90mph
A MAN who killed his brother in a car crash has been sentenced to five years imprisonment.Mark Raftery, 36, was driving a Subaru Impreza along the A141 Isle of Ely Way, March, Cambridgeshire, when he lost control, causing fatal injuries to his brother
A MAN who killed his brother in a car crash has been sentenced to five years' imprisonment.
Mark Raftery, 36, was driving a Subaru Impreza along the A141 Isle of Ely Way, March, Cambridgeshire, when he lost control, causing fatal injuries to his brother Kevin. The crash happened on October 18, 2008.
Raftery, of Osbourne Road, Wisbech, pleaded guilty to death by dangerous driving and was sentenced on Wednesday at Cambridge Crown Court.
Inspector Alan Page from the roads policing unit, said: "This has been a particularly traumatic case for the family - they lost one son, and the other has been sentenced for his death.
You may also want to watch:
"This was also intensive for the investigating officers as Mark Raftery originally claimed to have no memory of the crash and could not remember if he was driving or not. However he was placed in the driver's seat following forensic tests."
The court heard that Raftery had 19 previous convictions for 41 offences. At the time of the crash he was driving at around 90mph whilst around three times over the drink drive limit.
- 1 Photos show grim reality of life on the streets
- 2 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 3 Burglars led police to £170,000 cannabis factory
- 4 Verdict means former mayor can keep pub
- 5 Bid to ban ex- mayor running pub “a joke” says cabinet member
- 6 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 7 Speeding car smashes into two vehicles before driving off
- 8 Antiques dealer's collection to be sold at auction
- 9 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 10 Police buy clothes for Iranian children rescued from lorry
FULL STORY IN NEXT WEEK'S CAMBS TIMES/WISBECH STANDARD.
• To email your comments click here